1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

AC clutch tutorial?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by i82much, Aug 21, 2009.

1. i82much

i82much New Member

I need to replace the ac clutch on my 90 burb.
    Anyone know of a tutorial around?
    I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed
    Thanks

2. bill190

bill190 Rockstar 100 Posts

Generally it is the thinking that if the clutch has gone out, the compressor will soon follow. So best to replace the whole works when the clutch goes.

And when the compressor fails, it sends fine metal particles into the A/C lines which is very difficult to remove. This could cause a new compressor to fail as well. And in addition to flushing the system to get the particles out, installing "filters" on the high and low side might be a good idea after this has happened to catch any remaining particles.

With that said, instructions for replacing the clutch would be in a GM Factory Service Manual set for your year/model vehicle. Order from helminc.com or a GM dealer.