1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC Compresser noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cliffdavis1, Jul 2, 2012.

1. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

When I am between 1500 and 2000 RPM the ac compresser makes an awfull squealling/chattering noise and will break the belt if I don't either back off or accelerate past this range. I have broken three belts recently but otherwise the AC works great. 2003 Suburban 5.3 flex with 130K. Any ideas what to do to fix this? Cliff
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From what you have mentioned.......Check the Tension-er for the A/C Belt, in the Diagram below, the A/C Belt Tension-er is Number #2....

[​IMG]
  3. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

I've already replaced the tensioner, the spring was still good but the stop had been broken off.
  4. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

It sounds like the clutch is cycling on and off but only in this rpm range and if i stay in this range the belt will break. Or maybe its just the belt slipping but why?
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. buzzkutt

buzzkutt New Member

What was the outcome on your truck?
  6. cliffdavis1

cliffdavis1 New Member

Bad compressor