1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC compressor clutch

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by redvr4, Aug 16, 2009.

1. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

I have a 97 Savana and the other day the compressor clutch smoked, alot.

What are the chances it is only the clutch and not the compressor that actually caused this to happen.

Does anyone have advice on how I can find out if it is just the clutch and not the compressor?

How do you get the clutch off?

Bill Davis
  2. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

Bump it up
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

If the compressor is turning and blowing cold air it's working. If the clutch is slipping and the compressor won't turn over then it probably failed. Remove the belt and see if the compressor will turn over. Auto zone will loan you a puller to change the clutch.
  4. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

If I remove the belt how do I determine if the compressor will turn over.

My fear on this is that I will replace the clutch only to find out the compressor locked up and is actually what caused the problem. It was working fine before the clutch smoked, and when I say smoked I mean a lot of smoke, I could actually hear it cracling like a camp fire.

Bill
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

If the compressor froze up there's no way you can turn it. Take the belt off and be creative. I have a belt wrench and a vice grip chain wrench. Do you have any tools like this?
  6. redvr4

redvr4 New Member

Yes I can do those things.
    I went and bought a clutch and rented a puller. The thing is I see how to use the puller to get the clutch off but not how to use it to put the new one on. Any advice?

Bill,