1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC compressor issues????

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Smoke Em All, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All New Member

'95 k2500 tbi 5.7
    So my compressor keeps clicking on and off repeatedly all the time. I haven't actually used the ac since I bought the truck but it has this issue when the heat is on and when the switch is turned to off.
    I feel this issue is killing my already poor MPG so any help will be appreciated.
  2. csltrains96

csltrains96 Member

I have to ask..... Is your HEAT on? Or is the system set for DEFROST? The defrost setting still uses the AC system to dry the air out before blowing it up onto the windshield to remove fog. Not sure if it would continue to activate the compressor when the system is set to off unless the AC system is low on Freon/coolant.
  3. poncho62

poncho62 Member

My understanding is that the compressor cycles even when AC is off, so that it doesnt seize up during the winter from lack of use.
  4. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All New Member

It does it even when its off or but I have been using my defrost so maybe that can attribute to part of it I just don't think it should be doing it all the time.
    It does it when its on or off and its about every 3-5 seconds. If it is supposed to cycle I've never heard one do it so often.
  5. texan1325

texan1325 New Member

Right by the accumulator dryer there should be a connector. This is your low freon switch. Take this connector off and short the two wires together with a paper clip. Start engine and turn a/c on. Does compressor stay on? If it does you just need to add freon.