ac ghost

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by goto, May 6, 2009.

1. goto

goto New Member

have a1996 chevy truck single cab new compressor dryer etc ac controller not working replaced 3 times last about 2hr to 24hr then not goes fan woks just no ac operation wont light up at all in stall another new one works for couple hours then goes off ac pressures are ok

2. bcoffman

bcoffman Rockstar 100 Posts

Does this happen when at any rpm. I had a couple gm vehicles that the a/c and heat worked off of vacuum and found a vacuum line off or a hole in it . I don't know if that is it or not but maybe someone else knows more than me about that stuff and can give you more advice.

3. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you may have a broken wire that is not allowing the connection to complete and turn on the ac compressor. There is a way to jumper one of the two prong power connectors for the compressor and make it kick on. if that does not kick on the compressor then there maybe an issue with getting power to the compressor it's self, and you'll want to check all your fuses.
    If it does kick the compressor on then you have a broken wire somewhere between the switch and the compressor. I have this same issue with my 1989 siloverado and i have never fixed it and because of that I have never been able to use my ac in that truck it works but there is a broken wire on mine that puts the power to the compressor it's self. it's a grey wire on my truck and I just never have found the break. Since it's not my main vehicle that is the reason i've not been that persistant with getting it fixed.

Hope this helps, let us know what helps you fix your problem so everyone can benefit from your experience

4. goto

goto New Member

no problems under hood the contol are burning out

5. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

new switch panel then??