Ac/heater not working

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Justice17, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Justice17

Justice17 New Member

Hey what's up guys/ladies, I am here with my issue of the week lol my heater/ac isn't working all that well and I have no idea why. It seems to start blowing once the truck warms up but still not very heavily, like almost non-existant. Anyone know why? I thought maybe the AC just needed to be recharged but as far as I know that wouldn't affect the heater. Help please!!!!!!!! Oh and it's a 05 Silverado with the 5.3. Worked fine when I bought it.
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

It could be your in-cab air filter is plugged up but I'm no genius but thats where I would look.
  3. Justice17

Justice17 New Member

where is that?
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

Under the glove box. I'll see if I can't find a picture
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

cockpit.jpg

Since I'm not good with photoshopping and computers in general, its under the glove box right where that black 3 pronged looking piece is.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

It's a 05 he does not have one... Does it work at high speed , Like the last 2 clicks on the fan control?
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Chances are that the resistor for the fan is bad. My 02 did the same thing. No lower fan speeds only high. Depending on the controls you have they can range from $30 to $100. Pretty easy to change out also.
  8. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

I know the 07's had a recall on either the blower motor itself or its control module. If you bought it brand new and it had the recall you should have received something in the mail about 1.5years ago. (That's when I got the notice for my 07).

If you bought it used perhaps just call a dealership and ask if there was a recall on that model year.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Thats what I was thinking too.. Changed mine in my o2 also.. Easy fix And If I remember the part was cheap about $30.00
  10. Justice17

Justice17 New Member

To answer your guys' questions no it doesn't blow more at higher speeds, I've got it set on full blast and I barely have anything coming out the vents. I sort of think it's the blower, I can hear a bit of a whining/ groaning noise when I turn the air off then back on again.
  11. dipstick

dipstick New Member

12. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member

Hm did not know that. Learn something new everyday
  13. Brad Preece

Brad Preece New Member

Take the blower motor cage out and inspect for debris and or clogs in the cage that would impede air flow.
    it sounds as if your issue is there or if it isn't, it's a mode door issue.
    ive replaced both items in different cars for the same issue.
  14. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Where is the resister for the fan located. I'm having that trouble on my new 2012 1500. I'd like to change it out. Mine stopped working. Them a few days later it started working again??? Just crazy.
  15. giorge

giorge New Member

Ummm... since its a 2012 isn't it still under warranty?
  16. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Ummm....Yeah, but if it is something simple Id rather do it myself???? Silly me, wanting to fix my own stuff, guess that what we do south of the Mason Dixon. LOL, yeah, I can take it in, but out of my own curiosity, I wanted to know where I can find this thing. I hear this is a common problem with these trucks, so if it happens down the road, Id like to know where it is. Do you know where it is or are you sticking with the warranty thing? LOL.

But even more than that, why in the world would this blower stop working for a few days then just start working again?
    JB
  17. giorge

giorge New Member

I have had a similar problem and they replaced the whole climate control under warranty except I had hot air on the driver side and cold air on the passenger side, the temp was set at 72 for both sides. Some of that stuff is a pain to get to! If it's under warranty I won't mess with it, let them do it.
  18. JayBee

JayBee New Member

Yeah, I plan on taking it in to them. I mean this thing going out with only like 300 miles on it is crazy. Its the little things like that, that drive me crazy. Seems like if you drop this kind of money on a truck, this crap should not happen, but it does. Guess I am just spoiled on my 93 S-10 getting over 350,000 miles on it and nothing going out on it or not working properly.