1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

AC not getting cold

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by alanbmx, Feb 13, 2011.

1. alanbmx

alanbmx New Member

I just bought a 99 Suburban with 104,000 miles. The rear AC gets a little cool but the front does not get cold at all, the compressor kicks on and stays on, the gauge on the bottle of R-134A I bought reads just above 45psi and just into the alert range. I did not put any freon into the system since it read over full. Any ideas.
    Thanks

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

The guage is reading the low pressure side of the system, or you hooked it to the high side by accident & it is undercharged.. I don't know how much experience you have so please read cautions below.
    Do the following with out the freon can hooked to your system!!
    Start it up, turn on the AC & look at the sight window on the reciever drier. If you see bubbles, it needs a charge. You may need a mirror & flashlight to see the window.
    CAUTION
    Always wear safety goggles when working on AC because liquid freon will blind you if you get it in your eyes, & MAKE SURE you know the difference between the high side & the low side of the system, because accidently charging through the high side of the system will blow up the can!! If you have no AC experience, I would recommend that you take it to a shop to be charged if it needs it!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011