1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC pressure after changing compressor ????????

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by DAREDEVIL, Aug 16, 2010.

1. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi, i need to know how much pressure i need to fill in my 1996 Suburban !

It has rear AC aswell.

Any help would be very much apriciated .

THANKS

PS, maybe somebody knows how much goes in a 88 Camaro also ???? LOL ( wifes car )
  2. MightyMax

MightyMax New Member 100 Posts

Did you add in oil to the COmpressor as well??

And put a vaccuum on the system??

If those are in place, it should take about 3 - 4 cans easily.

Do it with manifold guages, then you can watch the pressure build, and stop when it gets to 40 - 45 Low side.

I don't believe the fact of having rear air makes a difference, but I could be very wrong on that assumption.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

If you put on a new compressor and therefore the system is empty.

If not done as well, change out the accumulator and the orifice tube.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2... And yes 40 -45 MAX PSI depending on temp, which most of the R134a cans have a temp guide, on what the proper charge is for the ambient temp.
  4. DAREDEVIL

Thank u all, but i have a 30# can and REAL gauges to fill the AC , also yes...oil in and vaccum done..-28 !!!!
    but @ 45 PSI my compressor wont even turn on.....at 65 it will work fine...??????????????????????????mmmmhhh
  5. murdog94

Seems that your high pressure switch has had it. And you are at 45PSI on the low side with the compressor running? not to be stupid just confused because i know that real guages allow for more accuracy. but you should have a 3lb system. So i would have installed 3lbs and gone from there. but that is why i am confused because your low side should be 45lb with the compressor engaged. If the compressor is off then it isnt sucking on the low pressure site to lower the system pressure.
  6. DAREDEVIL

When the compressor is running it reads 55-60 PSI on low and about 250 on high !!!!after turning it off, it reads 75 on both !!! mmmmmhhhhh I'M LOST ..LOL

Tomorrow i will bring it to an AC shop and let them figure this SH[T out..hahaha

98 degree down here today ....sweting my a$$ off.
  7. murdog94

Hmm sorry man. Confussed is right.. Is it cold at least?? And do you know how many lbs of R134a you put in? But it really seems like you have a bad high pressure switch. And or else a low pressure switch depending on which you are jumping to get the compressor to run...
  8. DAREDEVIL

Not jumping any...just filling it untill ~ 60 and then it comes on !!!!! and yes its cold but i still have a small leak in my line..lol thats why i filled it new ( i thought i fixed the leak ) THOUGHT !!!!!! is the main word....lol I found out that J&B weld is not strong enough on aluminum AC pipes...hehehe
  9. murdog94

WEll thanks for the insight.. and that may be some of your issue is a the leak may not be allowing the proper pressure at the actual switches.. But i would lean twards a bad low pressur switch then. Since it is supposed to tell the compressor to kick on when you obviously have enough pressure.
  10. DAREDEVIL

THANKS, i look into it !!!!