1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ripzilla, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ripzilla

ripzilla New Member

The ac in my 06 equinox has a prob. At first the ac works wonderful. Then it after a while it begins to get less cool. It seems to work best on the highway but not so good in stop and go traffic. Any ideas?
  2. I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN and I will be able to do further research. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Seeing that your Equinox is now around 5 yrs old, it made be time for a Recharge of the A/C with some Freon.
  4. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

X2 I would guess that it might be low on refer. Look at your fittings and see if are any connections with an oily, dirty appearance. Refer does not wear out. It leaks out, so if it is low, your leaking. If it leaks, there will usually be an oily residue near the leak point.
  5. ripzilla

ripzilla New Member

Thanks guys. I had it re-charged up. But it didn't help. I wasted $100.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

Thanks for letting us know ^^^^^^:neutral:^^^^^I just wasted giving Advice.

Edit: As mentioned by Caddiac.....you may have leak in the system.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  7. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

If you notice the problem at low speeds more than higher speeds it could be you condenser is fouled or blocked. At the risk of insulting your intelligence it is in front of the radiator (sorry dude I just have to cover the bases). I do not know if the equinox has electric fans or not but if it does make sure both of those suckers are working. Those are the simple checks.

Next you should look at system operation. A sensor that is failing like a cycling switch or compressor clutch. Does the compressor sound normal when it is running?
  8. ripzilla

ripzilla New Member

Mike you didnt waste your advice. I had it recharged yesterday. Anyways if the condenser is blocked could it still work great at first?
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

Ripzilla, I take it Personal when advice I give is not able to help another Member.....:glasses:.......and as Caddiac has mentioned it could be the Condenser is Blocked.......Let us know what happens.