1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

AC question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by LisaO925, May 5, 2009.

1. LisaO925

LisaO925 Rockstar

89 Suburban. AC has not been charged in 7 years. I know this is grasping straws, but could there be a chance I could just try to recharge it and have it work? Or should I just accept that the seals are shot, and go ahead and try to find a new unit? Would it be worth it to even attempt to look at a pull yard for an AC unit?

Thanks
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You should be aboe to run a pressure check on the system I would think, otherwise a can is usually around $15-20 to recharge the A/C. So even if it doesnt hold it its not too much money wasted. More then likely after seven years of no use and no charge everything has dried up
  3. Blazerado

Blazerado Rockstar 100 Posts

If you know anyone who works at a shop and has an AC machine now would be the time to talk to them. After throwing a can of freon into it, it might not work still due to lack of vacuum on the system prior to charge.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If any air entered your system a recharge is a waste of money. There will be scale that will flake off and plug up the system. Take it to someone for an estimate. They will probably charge it up to see what's wrong anyway before giving you an estimate.
  5. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

ID bet after that long the orings are junk....