1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

acceptable front drive shaft up and down play? 05 yukon xl

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Pikey, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

how much up and down play is acceptable for the front drive shaft at the T-case? I have a 05 yukon xl. I am getting some front end noise in 4x4. the front diff was replaced from a truck with 60,000 miles on it, the t-case is brand new from GM, and I replaced the passenger side wheel hub. I crawled under it today and noticed that I can move the front drive shaft significantly at the t-case. The dealer replaced the font seal about 2 weeks after I put the t-case in because it was leaking. The cv shafts seem to be fine. Thanks

2. Pikey

Someone has to know the answer to this. My rear seal is now leaking and I am trying to get into a dealer tomorrow. I would like to go armed with proper info so I can get everything with this t-case fixed at one time. @j cat ? @99'HEARTBEAT ? @RayVoy ? come on guys. I am counting on you. anyone else, don't be bashful. If you know the answer about front drive shaft play please, by all means, put it here

sketched-down-arrow.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If your talking about the yoke coming out the front, I gotta say, I cant see as how it should have much at all! You would chew up seals all day long if it traveled to far! If it wasn't your DD, you could rebuild it yer self and put in all new bearings an such!
    I wouldn't trust it with a lot of movement!

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't think it should move at all really. On my Tahoe the front drive shaft is very rigid on both the T case and front Diff connections. Any part that handles engine torque should have very firm and rigid bearing connections because any play would quickly damage parts from torque being applied wrong.

5. Pikey

thanks guys. I am taking it to a dealer right now. It is still under the 24,000 miles 2 year warranty from GM. The rear seal is leaking now. I have them check the front shaft play also.

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The drive shaft should not be able to move laterally ... this should be checked with the front wheels blocked and the selector in neutral, rear wheel off ground... rotate the drive shaft and check for this lateral movement. the tail piece bushing has had issues with the newer than my 2000 model on not being manufactured correctly. could be it is just this bushing... since the dealership did replace this transfercase with a new not re-built one then this would be odd.. the dealership most likely installed a newly re-built transfercase and the dealership tech ignored the poor fit of the drive shaft spline.

movement will create a leak over some period of time ...this would occur on any seal like wheel bearings / crankshaft /power steering /differential axles etc..

the more it wobbles around the faster the seal gets worn into a leak. dealership tech miss calculated on how long the seal would last...warning !!! they could just tell you a bad seal.. then when the warranty ends your stuck with the bushing or ??? to repair..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  7. Pikey

Thanks for the reply! It is a GM serta rebuilt t-case. I took a video of the movement. I talked to the tech today who replace the rear seal. I also talked to another tech at the dealership who happens to be my neighbor. They both said that it is normal. I have a hard time believing that it is normal. I guess that I will have the trans shop that installed the tcase check it out. They can fix it under warranty also, I just preferred to have the dealer do it. I question the techs attention to detail, they did a free multi point inspection and told me that my shocks and suspension will need attention soon. My shocks and rear coil springs are a few months old. They are still shiny and the bilstein sticker is as clean as the day i installed them. Here is a video of the movement. I don't know how well you will be able to see it.

- - - Updated - - -

HAha! I was all concerned about getting this handles within the next 4,000 miles because I thought it came with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. Turns out it has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty!

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my front or rear drive shafts do not move at all ...your video shows too much ..can you imagine the U joints moving that much.. also the clicking sound it wrong... when this is installed they are to grease the spline.. sounds like no grease...

I have done U joints on these drive shafts and this was on old vehicles 1994 and at 200,000miles not at all that bad...they do move in and out but not wobble !

go to dealership and look at vehicles on the lot....

- - - Updated - - -

your posting of how your work is all crap but what they did is absolutely perfect is why I do not use dealerships...especially when they get older than the warranty ...this is because the dealership is saying you have an old piece of crap vehicle , let me sell you a new one !

those bilstien shocks will out live that vehicle ..

9. Pikey

Well, last night when I went to the gym I crawled under 4 trucks, 3 nbs and 1 nnbs, and everyone of them had play in the exact same way mine does. (I know the guys who own the trucks I crawled under, so no one was going to shoot me) Some not as much as mine, some more. They all made the exact same noise mine does when moving it. They could all be worn. I have an appt at a shop that specializes in t-case rebuilds next week. They said they would check it out for me and tell me what they think. I will let you guys know what they say.

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sorry Mike, I just logged on after 3 days. I used 4HI a couple of times today and last night (we got a big ice storm); mine is quiet, I'll crawl under it tomorrow and see if there is any play.