1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

acceptable front drive shaft up and down play? 05 yukon xl

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Pikey, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey @j cat in your opinion what is more likely to cause that play, worn splines on the slip yoke or a internal t-case issue? The dealer is going tp charge me $100 to look at it. If it is the t-case then they don't charge me. If it is the slip yoke then they do. I can get a slip yoke for around $125. I would pull the shaft myself and just buy a new clamp for the boot, but I don't have one of the crimp tools to reinstall the new clamp.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that I found the issue. I dropped the front driveshaft today. I inserted a wooden dowel into the front of the t-case. I got no movement when attempting to move it. The splines on the slip yoke look pretty worn. I ordered a new one today. The dealer wanted $400, I could get it from GM service parts at a employee price of $227! I looked around and found that American Axle (who builds the yoke for GM) came out with a product line last year that meets or exceeds OEM specs. I found the yoke for $100! Should be here in the next 2 days.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

so it was a worn yoke ? If so many have had this issue..