1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accessory Opinions

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Jeremy09LTZCrew, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

So I'm in the process of switching all of my chrome to black. The big pieces (grille, rear bumper, etc) are easy. What I keep forgetting about are things like the chrome door handles. My truck is the white diamond color so I'm looking forward to getting the light/dark thing going with the truck. What I can't decide is, body match or black for the mirror covers, body match or black for the door handles and body match or black for the front and rear bowtie.

As far as the mirror covers and handles, I keep thinking the body match would look good. However, I also keep thinking that going black on those would tie in the black wheels really well from the profile viewpoint of the truck.

Regarding the bowties, the grile is going to be black so I considered doing a body match bowtie there. But then the tailgate will still be white so I thought about making that bowtie black. However, I'm not sure how I feel about having different color bowties on the truck. I've also considered keeping the front bowtie black and simply outlining it in body match paint.

What are the opinions of the forum?

While I'm excited to complete the transformation, I'm also a bit nervous about going too far with it since it's going to completely change the look. Thanks for all of your inputs.
  2. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

I've actually just completed this transformation on my truck. Personally I would go with mirrors, door handles, and bowties all black. Think of the black as your "accent" color. So everything that isn't part of the main body should be black and all other parts white. Plus the black wheels will really help to pull out the black accessories when its all finished. As for the grill/bowtie it depends on 2 things, personal opinion and what type of grille. If you removed the split grille part and put in a 1 piece mesh its going to be a hard decision, but if you color matched the grille housing to the body color then I would go with a black bowtie and a black 2 piece mesh grille.

I get my truck out of the shop on Monday or Tuesday depending when they finish the painting. I'll post up a few pics so you can see what it will look like. Just imagine my truck is white instead of red haha. hope this helped.
  3. Jeremy09LTZCrew

I've been leaning the same way on the accessories because of the accents. Thank you for your input. As for the grille, I may have found an OEM replacement that was blacked out. Therefore it still has the center piece and bowtie. If I end up with a one piece, I agree it will be more tricky, mostly because placement alone will be interesting to figure out without looking just thrown together. For right now though, I'm going with the assumption the one I'm looking at might work which will be the same grille, but all black. I won't be body matching the grille. I have the LTZ so my front bumper is body matched as well. This is something I'm also debating between keeping or getting one of the aftermarket bumpers I'm looking at. If I do switch to the aftermarket, it will be more for function. That is low on the priority list, so for the foreseeable future at least, the bumper will stay body matched.
  4. LB'07-Z

LB'07-Z New Member

First off your truck looks great and I agree with you that it might be alittle odd having 2 different colored bowties but i do think that black bowties with a white outline would look awesome and be fairly unique (don't think I've seen that on a truck). Also have you considered taking the tailgate bowtie off? If so then a color matched bowtie on the front would look great too. Theres actually a white Z71 running around here in town like that and it looks pretty sharp. Just some thoughts... Good luck on making your decsions!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. lquattro04

lquattro04 Member

Personally I wanted to get the z71 "appearance package" which had the grille and bumpers all color matched to the body instead of chrome, but they offered me such a good deal on my trade-in (which I was afraid to drive home for fear of falling apart) that I drove the truck home off the lot right there. So I couldn't get that therefore I went ahead and did it all myself. In the long run it was actually a better decision because the appearance package cost a little over $2000 and I was able to find all the aftermarket parts for under $500 and the paint/install was only $500 so I saved some cashflow. If your going to get parts painted with the GM paint that is going to cost you a decent amount. My installer said that a quart of GM Victory Red paint was over $100 and that was what actually cost the most out of anything.
  6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Thank you. I do love my truck. Now I'm just trying to make it truly mine. And yes, I have considered debadging as well. That's why I didn't ash about the "silverado" lettering. I'm planning to remove those as soon as I get home and am contemplating removing the mouldings on the side as well. I may end up removing the rear bowtie, but I keep thinking the black might look nice back there with everything else removed. We'll see.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

I'd heard similar numbers about the paint so if I do color match, I'm really glad i'd only need a quart or so. I am glad I have the color matched front. For the rear I'll probably keep hunting around for a fab fours rear bumper for a price I can't resist. If I go black on all the trim, I could ponder hydrodipping everything with a matte finish. At least then I know the mirrors, handles, etc.. would match.
  7. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Mine isn't black with white border, it is chrome border but it might give you an idea what that would look like. Sorry about the picture quality.

Attached Files:

8. Jeremy09LTZCrew

That looks really clean. Did you paint it yourslef? And I think the really challenging part will be trying to outline it. I'll just have to be really careful with taping the black part off. Thanks for the picture. It does help.
  9. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Yes, it was the stock tailgate badge off a 2012.

Getting the gold portion out of the chrome was pretty tough. I used a hair dryer to heat it up and a small flat 8" metal ruler to pry it off the adhesive. I had to lift the corners to start it with a tiny screwdriver. Fishing line should also work.

Here is the little screwdriver and ruler I used with a paperclip beside for size reference:

[​IMG]

I read some of the guides here on how to paint it, I wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper then used DupliColor Black and clear coat then re-fastened it with 3M molding tape.

The front bowtie would require some painters tape to get the same effect since it doesn't have two pieces.

Mine didn't come out perfect, it has a little bit of texture and isn't perfectly mirror finish but I am a pretty amateur painter.
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I like the fact you are trying to get your list going for mods when you get home. The only thing is you may see something you like better as you make the changes. So my suggestion is to keep investigating and researching but wait til you get home to get the paint done. I am not trying to rain on your parade by any means. But, I would hate to see you drop large amounts of cash on items you may realize that you may not have needed.
    With that being said I would go with the black accents,remove the rear bowtie and as suggested earlier outline the front bowtie.
    It isn't my truck but with all the mods you have planned I can't wait to see this thing when it is "done". Although we all know there is no such thing as a truck being done.