Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accident Prone Roads/Intersections around you?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just had ANOTHER accident out on the intersection that I can see outside of my office window! There must be at least 6 or 8 big wrecks at this intersection each year.

Part of the problem is that the road is a big & wide divided 4 lane road that expands to 5 or 6 lanes when you have turn lanes involved. The speed limit is 45, but people often have just driven for an hour on the freeways (if coming from the north) ... or having just driven out from the country (if coming from the south) ... the average speed on the road is probably 55, and some drivers are hitting 60+.

Then that hooks straight into these smaller side streets. They're just 25 mph roads, and people are often just pulling out of a park, or a residence, some of them are light office and small stores and what-not.

Most people are used to this ... but on the particular road that I'm looking at ... it's just too much. Cars flying from the north, cars flying from the south. Cars from the other side of the street ... people turning in, people turning out ... pedestrians walking from the huge park that's nearby.

Wrecks all the time. They're probably going to put up a traffic light if this keeps up.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to attach some pics from my mobile ...

20130902_145530.jpg 20130902_145429.jpg 20130902_145459.jpg
  2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Wow, looks like the Honda made out a bit better.What was the make of car in first photo.
  3. koyote

koyote New Member

So, out here around Fallon, Nevada there is a stretch of US50 that's just nuts. Though we have a *potentially* very dangerous "bent" intersection near my farm at harmon juction, the west side is where you get the brutal accidents.

There is a stretch from about 2 miles west of city limits going out 5 or 6 miles that sees more accidents than all the rest of US 50 AND US95 in churchill county combined. Speed limits goes up from 45 to 55 to 60 along this stretch, with a few dozen right and left turns (not counting the roadside businesses) and pretty bad sunrise and sunset issues for much of the year in sections because of the curves.

Now, we all know this is the bad stretch. So does NDOT.

A few weeks ago they were recoating the road. one lane each way, no guard rails or dividers on this highway. Lots of turns, and they have you driving on the right shoulder one day, the center turn lane the next (4 lanes plus turn lane and medium shoulders)

During consturction, they DID NOT REDUCE THE SPEED LIMIT.

And yes, we had a REALLY bad accident when one lady was making a cautious left hand turn from the right shoulder onto her road, and got tBoned by a truck doing 65. Some workers injured, too.

WTF?
  4. ChevyFan

Looked to be a 90's era Taurus. The Honda only had about 12-inches of it's front-passenger area impacted by the wreck ... but the front passenger wheel was pushed back about 1 or 2-feet from where it was supposed to be. It's sort-of hard to see in that photo as it's so dark, but I would almost say that it's close to being totaled actually.

I think that people who build roads should be required to study fluid dynamics. If you think about it, when traffic moves like fluid in a hose. If you bend the hose (put a turn in the road) ... then the water slows down due to increased friction and water pressure behind it increases (a backup in traffic). Just nuts how many of the older roads with bends in them have not been straightened out.
  5. koyote

koyote New Member

My problem with that section is that the traffic levels are up past the level of "farm road" - but it's still a farm highway, tractors and all. If i had druthers, I'd druther it was divided, with a frontage road on each side, and the relevant 6-8 miles stretch having crossover points for getting on the frontage road every, oh, 1.5 miles or whatever. I'm not explaining it well, but it's a common thing on busier rural highways out west.

nothing like the horror of paper mill road.
  6. ChevyFan

Yeah, there's a lot of those around the country. People are moving to different places, and they are moving to "the country" ... so these old farming communities are starting to have either small communities of executive-style houses built ... or they are leveling 20 acres and putting up 200 homes in little neighborhoods. However, the feeder roads to get people out there haven't been updated and people who just moved there drive way too fast and don't have a good idea for the lay of the road and terrain.
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

all of virginia beach/norfolk/hamptom roads is bad. tourists, out of towners, military people new to the area. complicated roads, tunnels you name it. people here drive like idiots.

Alex
  8. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Rockstar 100 Posts

Yikes, many years ago I had read something about where there were studies conducted about areas with high rates of accidents and measures that should be taken to reduce them. Overall it always came down to cost, and lack of infrastructure (not enough spare room for more lanes in congested areas) usually the "fix" was to reduce the speed limit...hate to see anyone involved in a wreck but hope they all pulled through.

I have noticed a huge difference in drivers since I have moved to WA. The drivers here tend to pull out in front of you and instead of gaining speed to match the posted speed they drive as slow as they want and you have to slam on your brakes. The underlying cause to this is that there are mostly only two lane roads with a very high traffic flow, if you don't pull out in front of someone you could be stuck there waiting for 10 to 20 minutes...
  9. ChevyFan

yeah, I grew up in Washington State. The roads there even up to when I'm a 15 years ago were mostly Two lanes all the way across the whole state. As it grew, the roads were clearly behind the times.
  10. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Interstate 85 between North Carolina and Spartanburg County S.C. Two lanes each way in that area which is wider at either end. Like the center of an hour glass. Lots of wrecks, lots of death.