1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ACDelco PF48 vs. PF63 usage and also ecore filter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Jan 28, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hello, after reading some threads on oil filters, some guys are using an PF63 in place of a PF48. Claiming that the extra filter media is the way to go.

My biggest thing, is the filter being 0.75" longer worth the hassle if you ever had to go in for a warranty repair? I would gather that if you pulled into the dealer with engine complaints and they saw the wrong filter.......

Also, there was a lot of talk about ecore AC filters. Something to do with a plastic cage instead of the steel tube? This resulted in the filter media tearing during use. I will have to check my PF48s when I get home.
  2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member 100 Posts

Thats why i use napa because they list the longer filter (napa/wix) as oem spec for trucks. It also makes it alittle easier to replace since they mount so close to the oilpan to get some more to grip on.
  3. greywolf11

greywolf11 New Member

E-core filters are easy to distinguish as the part number will end with an "E." For example a PF46 is the traditional metal center tube and a PF46E is an ecore. I to date have not seen a PF48 in e-core form. If I do I'll personally stay away from it. The PF48 on the other hand is a well built filter for its price. Nothing wrong with Wix filters either, but on lots of their filters they use a thread end bypass and as a result the amount of filter media is reduced in the can. I am not sure if this is the case on the Wix 57060 for our trucks, but I do know that Wix generally makes a quality filter.
  4. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would go to the wix filter web site and see if you can use a pf63 filter as a replacement for the pf48 spec. from what I found this is not listed as a replacement.

the bypass pressure range is slightly different . these pf63 filters appear to be for V6 engines.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

my 05 calls for a pf 46 I have occasionally used the longer pf 52 in its place. The pf 52 was the spec for my 02 2wd. But, the 46 for the 4wd
  6. j cat

the pf46 has a 13/16 thread. the pf 52 has a 18mm thread. I do not see how this is possible to use the pf52.

the pf 46 ac filter is the oem spec filter.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I will have to run out to the garage and check. I believe that it was the 52

- - - Updated - - -

I was wrong it was a 61
  8. j cat

looks like the pf61 is bigger same specs. also the yukon is listed.
  9. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I checked my stock of PF48 filters and they are NOT e-core filters. They have a steel tube, not a plastic cage.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to use Wix oil filters back when I had my Isuzu pickup. If ACDelco goes e-core on the PF48, I'll switch to Wix.

I may go to Walmart and pick up a few more PF48s, they are $3.79 each.
  10. j cat

I think that GM stopped these environmental type filters. this is because of oil filters blowing up. EPA does not like oil all over a hywy.

with engine damage created GM/ac will stall.