acetone in fuel tank

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by mashburn, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mashburn

mashburn Rockstar

been reading around online how to get better gas mileage and there is all the obvious one, but i read a new one today. if u put 2 OZ of pure acetone to 10 gallons of gas u can increase you gas milage by 30 to 35%

has anyone ever tried this and is it bad for your fuel lines, seals, engine etc

2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

NOT a good idea, acetone dries out any rubber, silicon, etc. It makes some plastics disolve/melt away. Removes grease, oil, removes paint. DO NOT put that into your tank. Just my 2 cents.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do a little more research before you try this, the longterm results arent as good as advertised.

4. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

Xylene and Toluene were used to increase Octane. There are home made race gas blends available online adding them to high test to make an affordable race gas.

Acetone should not be used.

I know it will destroy diesels! I worked at a tank hauler and a disgruntled owner operator dropped a residual amount of acetone into our diesel and two of the company tractors suffered b/4 a fresh delivery of diesel fuel diluted the acetone. It melted holes in the center of the pistons...the boss couldn't understand what happened. Later one of the owner operators told me what happened. We wondered why nobody used our fuel that week....

I wouldn't add acetone to my gas tank!