1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Active Fuel Management and 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MarkSilverado, Sep 29, 2010.

1. MarkSilverado

MarkSilverado New Member

Quick couple questions I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3L it has the active fuel management in it but I dont have the buttons to view it. How do I know when it activates and is there anything I can do to be able to view things like my tire pressure in my odometer line, I have the monitor but no way to view it. Also I have the electronic transfer case but the dash 4x4 light doesn't come on but the dial light does, does that dash light only come on with manual transfer cases. Also does anyone have any experience with a CAI or tonneau cover saving mileage?
  2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts

If you don't have the Driver Information Center controls, the only real way to be able to tell when your active fuel management is kicking on is to listen for it. Other than that, you should be able to access this and other features by purchasing and installing the DIC controls.

Here's a link with a wealth of information about this. It's easy and affordable:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?14534-GM-Driver-Information-Center
  3. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI New Member

Welcome to the site. The CAI will help a little on your mileage. I had a tonneau on my S-10 and saw no difference in mileage when i took it off. If i recall correctly neither my '02 or '10 have a dash light that indicates the 4x4 is active only the the light on the button. My S-10 was the same as well.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I loose about 1mpg on the highway with my soft tonno rolled up.I have a full size Silverado Z-71 with 5.3. I think you see a differance with the larger trucks because of the bed size. As KWG08VMI said and other people I talked to with small trucks (s-10 and Colorado) they didn't see a differance.
  5. Vincennes02261897

So guys, are we seeing increases in gas millage AND hp with CAI's?
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!!! For the info you looking for re: tire pressure, AFM, etc. x2 on the DIC recommendation. I just installed and think it is well worth the $80 or so.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

I think you see about 5hp increase with CAI. You do feel better throttle response also with the CAI. As far as mileage increase some people say yes others say no. I saw no mpg increase with my truck and I have tried the Airaid, K&N,Volant,AFE,AEM and the Banks. I kept the Banks because of its quality and fit and it was the last one I tried so I just left it on. They all seemed to be about the same performance wise.
  8. Vincennes02261897

Interesting to know. Even at 5 hp... as long as it's not decreasing fuel economy then why not!? Thanks for the info, trailblazer.
  9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

I have the Volant and love it. No difference in MPGs, but some HP increase and better throttle response. It also provides a nice sound when you get on it.

The AFM will kick-in whenever your speed levels off. I have gotten used to it, and used to watch it, but it does kick-in more than you'd expect.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010