1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Active Fuel Management in 2009 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by leapyear, Sep 22, 2011.

1. leapyear

leapyear New Member

Hello all. I am looking at getting a 2009 Suburban LTZ but I just noticed that the brochure I have for the 2009's seems to indicate that only the 2wd models had the 5.3L engine with Active Fuel Management. The 4x4's just had a regular 5.3L. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me? I'd prefer to get the 4x4 for when I need it, but want ot save gase when I don't need 4wd.

Thanks.
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the mileage difference between the 2 isnt all that ,uch, 1 mpg at the max. a good tuner and CAI with exhaust will pick up what you will loose with the 4X4

Alex
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Are you considering the 1500 or 2500?

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  4. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure about 09 but our 10 4x4 has AFM... It does ok on really flat or slight down hill grades but I am not 100% sold on it. We get 20 mpg on highway trips. better than the 17 my silverado got but the burban has more power and torque and a 6 speed trans and a taller rear ratio...
  5. leapyear

leapyear New Member

I am looking at the 1500. Thanks for your help!