1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Active fuel management

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by djtop, May 8, 2012.

1. djtop

djtop New Member

I am new to the forum and thought i would try it, i brought a 2011 silverado last month brand new and have put about 1200 km on it so far
    I am happy with the truck but have yet to see it kick down to 4 cyl, the first gear shifts pritty quick making second gear lag a bit
    Have i inherited some known problems, i have the LC9 5.3 vortec with AFM
  2. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think I know what you are talking about. Try this thread. This was a resent conversation. If I’m wrong someone else will have the answer.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/89237-Can-t-Stand-V4-Mode!!!!#axzz1uIycfiEJ
  3. djtop

djtop New Member

Thanks, seams like most people want it off
    Now some what confused
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!! It's a matter of preference regarding the AFM, as there are some people who really like and some that hate it. Just use the search function near the upper right corner and do a little reading....it may help you become less confused or confuse you even more :glasses:

Just to confirm though, you have the AFM indicator in your dash readouts and you never see it change from 8 to 4 even when letting off the gas for a period of time (i.e. going down a long hill)?
  5. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If your cruising on the interstate at a low rate of speed you should have seen, heard, and felt it kick down. I have an 2011 5.3 and I noticed it the first time out on the interstae the first day I bought it. Something might be different with the 2012 not sure, but something doesn't sound right.
  6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah mine works pretty good when I have it in tow/haul mode. Especially from 30-45mph. I dont mind it at those speeds and according to the dic im getting good mpg when its kicked in. Also doesnt sound to bad with the dual exhaust on it..If I was geared correctly for the larger tires it would probably work even better for me. It sounds like your shift points are not programmed correctly not allowing it to kick in. I would have it checked out.
  7. djtop

djtop New Member

Thanks folks, it's going in today will no more on friday i'll keep you posted