1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Active Fuel Managment ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Texas Tuff, Sep 21, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Texas Tuff

Texas Tuff New Member

I just have a question on when and how the motor goes from a V8 to 4 cylinder? Does a light come on when it is engaged, or does it do it automatically without alerting the driver? I do not have the DIC display system. But I do have the V8 5.3L Texas Edition. No real emergency, just a concerned individual.
  2. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member 100 Posts

It does it automatically, no light on the dash, you should never even know its switching between the 2 modes.
  3. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

If you don't have the DIC buttons, there is no alert to when it switches from V8 to V4. The DIC upgrade allows you to access more screens than the odometer stem does, and this is one of them. It will tell you what mode you are in, and the instantaneous MPG. It's a very easy upgrade if you decide to do it, just search DIC on this forum.

Sorry, search Driver Information center instead,..I forgot the search won't accept 3 letters or less.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah you won't know. you can tell when it switches back into v8 mode if you are cruising then hit the gas you'll feel that delay then power.
  5. Texas Tuff

Texas Tuff New Member

Thank ya'll so much....Really appreciate all the understandable responses...This site is so helpfull and very courteous when it comes to others. I guess I will just have to believe that the truck is driving correctly for me.
  6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like the others said, if you're interested in upgrading a bit by purchasing the Driver Information Center module, you'll have access to that feature as well is some others. It makes for a very affordable, easy, and useful addition.

Here's a link to some helpful information:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?14534-GM-Driver-Information-Center

Other than that, I agree with you completely on the helpfulness of this site. Definitely a forum that is worth sticking around for. Steve and the other moderators and administrators (as well as the users) do a great job here.

P.S.- Thanks for your service, Texas Tuff!
  7. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Before I got tires that hummed I could hear the difference in the motor when it went into 4cyl mode going down the highway. If you have an aftermarket exhaust that sound is very easy to detect.