1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Adding a secong battery.whats involved?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chevy68, Oct 14, 2011.

1. chevy68

chevy68 New Member

I have an 08 chevy LT 1500 V8 5.3L. has the second battery tray whats involved in connecting the second battery? thanks

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Before trying to figure out what is involved you need to determine what you wish to accomplish ... since the approach you use (and the things involved) completely depends on your objectives. You can wire in series (24v), you can do single battery isolation, or you can do dual battery isolation. Which is apropriate for you (and thus, the required items and work) will depend on your intended application/needs.

3. Steban

Steban Rockstar

I added a second battery to mine. It was real easy. I got a battery hold down kit, battery wire, and battery terminals. I added a manual high amp (100amp)battery cut off switch. I hooked up the positive wire to the back of the alternate and the negative wire I tapped a bolt into the alternate bracket. It works great. I use it to isolate my battery when I'm at the desert for when I have my lights or stereo on with the truck off just in case my battery dies.