1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adding a sub, where to thread a power cable

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, May 13, 2011.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Anyone else do some of their own wiring for car stereo? I've hooked up my own head unit and speakers, but somewhat concerned about where to punch a hole (or is there an existing spot I can use) to get a power cable to the rear of the Burb to power the amplified subwoofer.

Suggestions?

I have a '98 K1500
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Just find an existing grommet that you can thread it through. That's what I had to do on my '91 Sub. Not very difficult to do.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What Ga wire are you running? What amp are you useing?
  4. Kraziken

8 Gauge wire. It is a kicker powered sub, so I have the wiring pulled from my old rig. I don't see spot I can thread thru and suspect I'll need to drill a hole.
  5. Kraziken

After looking at some other forums, I traced the antenna lead back into the cab thru the passenger side. It was behind the coolant overflow bottle. I'm a car stereo noob, but gaining confidence with every small job I do. :)