1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adding a Transmission cooler

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by megapea, Apr 2, 2010.

1. megapea

megapea New Member

I just bought a Tru Cool 4454 transmission cooler for my 05 Tahoe with 5.3 engine. It doesn't have the tow package so there is no external cooler. Should I run it in combination with the cooler that goes thru the radiator, or should I bypass that cooler and run it by itself? I bought a 23' boat last year and installed a tranny temp gauge, and noticed when towing on really warm days ( 85-95 degrees) the tranny temp was really getting up there. What have you guys done, or what do you think? Thanks!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would keep the radiator cooler and add the TruCool in series with it. Most people don't know that the GVW rating of the TruCool cooler is rated in combination with the radiator. Also taking the radiator cooler out of the picture can make your transmission run too cool in cold climates. Mount the cooler in front of the radiator in the air stream. Use metal straps and avoid the nylon ties that will damage the radiator. This cooler in combination with your radiator will be all you need to tow your boat.
    Don't forget to service your transmission as new fluid runs cooler than dirty fluid. Have fun. :)
  3. megapea

megapea New Member

Thanks jimmiee, I've already flushed my tranny, and refilled with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, so I think with the cooler, I'll be protecting my tranny from the dreaded heat!
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010