Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Adding amp speakerbox

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by groceryman, Mar 24, 2012.

1. groceryman

groceryman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Just got a speakerbox with two kicker subs and a powercoustic amp going to try to install on tuesday going to add it to factory head unit. I have a bose system i hope to add a new head unit later.

2. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

you probably want to look at getting a new head unit sooner than later. I did the same thing the first week i bought my truck. I installed my sub from my previous truck into the new one and wired it to the stock head unit because i didn't want to void my warranty. After hearing how it sounded I went out and bought a new head unit the next day. The clarity was horrible, and the sub wasn't hitting nearly as hard as it should have been. I ended up spending more money in the end. Learn from my mistake and get a headunit first!

3. groceryman

I went ahead and ordered me a new head unit i got a jvc. Where are most everybody running their power wire going to the battery for the amp. Is there already a hole in the firewall to get into the engine compartment.

4. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

Grab a flashlight and take a look under your dash. I know I had a pre-existing hole that I ran my wire through, but I have a 2010 so there's no guarantee that you will have the same. Mine was located right above the brake pedal and to the left. It had a bunch of other factory wires coming through that were wrapped in electrical tape, I think they went to the OBD II connection if I remember correctly. Once you find a hole that you can run it through the easiest way to get the wire through is to use a metal hanger. Use wire snips and cut off the hook part, then tape the power wire to one end and fish the other end into the engine bay. After this you simply just pull the hanger through from the engine bay and the power wire should come along as well. Be carefule though because the tape may get snagged on other parts and then slide off the hanger. It may take a few attempts but as long as your patient it won't take long.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 04 GMC Sierra had a plug above and to the left of the brake pedal. I ran my 4ga amp wire from the battery through it. I had to cut a notch into the plug as the plug is thick ... and I then sealed around the notch and wire once it was through the firewall.

By the way I see you're in Reidsville. I meander up to Semora frequently enough and may be moving to Caswell county (time frame unknown right now). :)

Surreal

6. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I tried a line level convertor on my stock setup, it works ok. It did ruin the factory sound a bit. I suggest save some coin and just add the head unit at the same time.

The reason the Exploder and other fords have good radios, gives you something to do while waiting on the wrecker. LOL

7. groceryman

Thanks for all the help and Surrealone im only bout 15 minutes from caswell maybe we can meet up one day

8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yup, I know -- I've been through Reidsville on my way to the Greensboro airport from Semora. :) Perhaps we can hang out some time...