1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

adding an amp

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 2Kbowtie, May 18, 2009.

1. 2Kbowtie

2Kbowtie New Member

I have a 2001 S10, with a stock cd player. The truck has only dash and door speakers as far as I can see. Is there a way I can hook up an amp without springing for a new head unit? If there were rear speakers then I would just use that signal. Since there are none....
  2. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

yes there is a way. you just need a converter.
  3. 2Kbowtie

2Kbowtie New Member

Could you possibly go a little more in depth requarding this?
  4. 97chevz71

97chevz71 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

All i know is that when i was getting and amp and wiring done. the guy was doing it said he could hook the stock radio up fo that you can run rca plug so you could run a amp. It is some kind of adapter. But he said the stock radio would limit the bass so i went witha unit. But since you are only runing door speakers it should not be a problem.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

First do you have an extended cab, or one of the four door ones, either way you have rear speakers, if its four door the are in the rear doors at foot level. If you have an extended cab they shoud be about half way up the rear cab on the side of the truck. What the other guy is referring to is a line out converter. You splice into existing wiring to speakers and run the wires back to the converter. The converter has line in connectors on one side and RCA outs on the other, then you run the rca to the amp. then you just run your ground, power and remote wire like normal and your set.
  6. 2Kbowtie

2Kbowtie New Member

It is nly an extended cab and there are no rear speakers. I have searched for them and they are not there. There are no grills for them either. I used the stock radio and moved the fade to the rear of the truck and it only plays in the doors. The front fade plays it on the dash only. Does anyone know where I can find one of the convertors since I am stationed in germany and they are not so technical on this stuff here.
  7. vncj96

WWW.CRUTCHFIELD.COM Is this a european truck or something that you had shipped over to Germany?
  8. 2Kbowtie

2Kbowtie New Member

No its not. It is from Talahassee Florida. I know that Crutchfield says there are rears but there isnt. If I need to post a pic of my interior to prove this then I will. But there are no rear speakers and it is a US truck.
  9. vncj96

So very weird, I have never heard of them not having rear speakers:neutral:. I had a sonoma and mine had 4x10 in the pillers behind the extended cab window. Of course this was not a model that had a third door.