1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adding an AUX jack to a stock radio.

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Maverick8298, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Has anyone tried installing a 3.5mm audio input jack to use with your iPhone/iPod? I had one in an aftermarket radio on my first Z71, but I've since sold that truck and now I'm back with just a stock radio with a single CD player. I've seen a write up that someone on gmfullsize.com did, just wondering if anyone can clear up exactly which connections I need to tap into. I probably just need to crack into my unit and look around, but I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I screw something up. Here's the other thread just for reference... http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3315388
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What year truck do you have? I have a Peripheral Electronics/ PAC adp that gives me HD Radio and a AUX input for my Sirius Radio Thats on my 08 Avalanche
  3. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member

What he ^ said.
  4. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Sorry about that. 2003 2wd GMC Sierra SLE. Single cd player/radio unit form the factory.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Does it have a Aux button or CD Changer ? XM Button? Can you post a pic of the radio?
  6. BRB46

BRB46 Member

I just completed this. I tied it into the XM wires on the black plug in back of radio. I don't have an XM subscription but it only disables it when then3.5mm plug is in the jack. Soldering the wires to the jack was a PITA but I just took my time. All other radio functions work normal. I soldered and used heat shrink tubing on the connections to the plug in back.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Nice:great: Got pics for the members??
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Nice mod. This would be great to have some illustrations of. Either way though.
  9. BRB46

BRB46 Member

image.jpg
    If you look at the OP,the link to another forum, post #8 BY CHEVY MAN and scroll through his pics you can see the way he connected to the plug on the back of radio with details. That's what i followed but i mounted my jack in a different place. i will post a pic later showing that. The whole panel where I mounted the jack pops out. You just have to unplug the power port wires and you can take it with you to work on it.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013