1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adding AUX input to stock radio - 2001 Tahoe?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by bartlex, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bartlex

bartlex New Member

I have a 2001 Tahoe (LS) with the stock radio/cd player. There is a button for AUX on the radio but there are currently no inputs.

Does anyone know of a fairly easy way to add an AUX input to the radio so I can plug my MP3 player in (via speaker wire)?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Project Reaper

Project Reaper Rockstar 100 Posts

i doubt it i think the aux is an option that came with all radios for the added dvd or cd player ( if its a stock cassette or cd player ). i know im my 97 z71 i have pretty much the same stock stereo and the aux imput if for the added cd player on mine.
  3. bartlex

bartlex New Member

4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

that almost looks too easy, have you purchased one and tried it?
  5. bartlex

bartlex New Member

I ordered one but it has not come in yet. As long as its easy to get the radio out (haven't looked at the manual yet) it should be a pretty simple install.

I'll post the results once I have it in (or have trouble getting it installed).
  6. Stealth

i recently painted my dash, just waiting for good weather so i can clean my truck. the radio is ridiculously easy to pull, and that adapter looks easy to install, I already have the connecting cable. the hardest part was taking the dash off, and then i suppose routing the aux cable. let me know how it turns out. i'll befirend you real quick
  7. bartlex

bartlex New Member

I just did the install. It was very simple. Took me about 30 mins and most of that was just figuring out how I wanted to run the wire.

The dash panel snaps right off. The radio slides right out after pressing down the 2 clips. The Aux unit plugs right in to the radio.

Could not have been much easier and it works great.
  8. Stealth

sweet! thanks for letting us know, and can you post some pics of where the cable comes out to connect to your ipod? that would be awesome
  9. smccollamjr

smccollamjr New Member

The "AUX" button on my '06 is for the factory XM tuner.
  10. Stealth

i think that the xm tuner inputs through the same place he is referring to