Adding factory remote start to a 2012 Silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JRD761, Dec 31, 2012.

1. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Can you add the factory remote start to the 2012 Silverado without much hassle?

Is it as simple as buying new key fobs? Or is there something that the dealer has to actually install?

If so, anyone have any part #'s or literature for this?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I believe there is a module/software that must be installed to have remote start. I would call your local dealer and ask them. They will also give you any part numbers you need.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

If you go to the Link Below.....it will answer your Questions Regarding the Installing of the Factory Remote Start, on your 2012" Silverado.

Link,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...y+Remote+start
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

The post to pay attention to, is #12, written by Mike, [MENTION=25593]99'HEARTBEAT[/MENTION]
  5. E_HILLMAN

E_HILLMAN New Member

I just had Rod Hatfield Chev in Lexington KY do this for my truck. If your truck is already prepped it is a "kit" which basically consists of two new remotes that have the starter on them and then they program the remotes and your truck.

If it does not I think there is a bit more to it. For me having a dealership get the kit (key fobs) and install/program was about $300 total for my duramax.

...being able to start the truck with my cell phone via the OnStar app - REALLY AWESOME! Truck is warmed up when I am ready to leave work.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

You can get a nice remote start that will use all the factory features via the databus interface. My heated seats and rear defrost turn on automatically if it is below a certain temp. They cost around $200 installed. It is cheaper than the dealer and you have added range. Only option that you do not get is the onstar app that [MENTION=58350]E_HILLMAN[/MENTION] mentioned. There are remote start companies that can do that also. I have a friend that turns his truck on from his cell phone with an aftermarket starter.
  7. paracutin

paracutin New Member

What remote start system do you have?
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

9. paracutin

paracutin New Member

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

it is something that the installer uses.
  11. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

Well, I took my truck in for an oil change today and ordered the factory kit. Ended up costing $190, and the service department said they'll give me a call for the installation price when the kit comes in tomorrow.