1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Additives and cleanser fluids

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Conlan Rose, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, I've been looking around on autozone and other parts sites and looking at all the additives and other cleaning agents they make for "helping your engine run longer". I was just wondering if they were just b.s. or they actually work and are worth the money? Also which ones work the best and if they will help my old Tahoe keep going and stop running alittle hot and help bring it back to a more factory running condition (increase HP, better MPG, smoother running/shifting, less leaks, and extended life)
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I don't know of any additives that will increase your MPG's. But for some preventative maintenance there are 2 that are really popular:

Techron:

Sea Foam:

Both of these are really good. Just watch the labels and use the right amount. My gas tank takes about 1.5 cans of the 20oz. Techron. You don't want to use either of these to rich or too lean if you put them in your gas tank.
  3. Conlan Rose

I was also wondering about ones for cleaning your tranny, in side the block (both oil and coolant), and ones that restore the head gaskets and help restore compression either through the oil or coolant as well.

My take would take little more that 2 of the 12 oz. its a 30 gal tank.
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I know that you can use Sea Foam in your oil before doing an oil change ( don't run it in the oil too long ) I would not put techron in your oil.

As far as the tranny goes, that I am not sure about.

I would check the instructions on the sea foam as it will do most of what you want. You will need something else for the tranny.
  5. Conlan Rose

I was just wondering because my truck has over 196,700 miles on it and even tho it runs and shifts solidly I want it to keep on going for a very very long time. One of my next buys will be a k&n stock replacement air filter that has a million mile warranty I plan to see how well it can handle that claim. I'm also asking because after my last oil change I did, which was only 800+ miles since the one I did before it, the oil was very dark , but it was a oil meant for cleaning out sludge and deposits which it did fairly well the truck is very happy after the last change. Probably helps I replaced the leaking oil filter to block adapter gaskets.:glasses:
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

IMO, most additives are nothing but "snake oil" a good quality synthetic oil is all the additive that you require.

Having said that, those of us with the 5.3 engine and with the AFM feature are experiencing stuck piston rings. I will be looking for an additive to try and address this problem.

Your tranny: just change the fluid and replace with the recommended ATF.

PS: while your at it the diffs (front and rear, if you have a front one) need to have the gear lub changed. And, while your at it the transfer case, if 4x4, needs changing as well.
  7. Conlan Rose

Once I save a little more $$$ I will be servicing the 4wd before the winter hits so that way I know its ready for the worst. So what your saying is most engine, tranny, or coolant additives are just b.s. that aren't needed for a well maintained vehicle. I'm wondering this only because I'll do close to anything to keep my Tahoe running in top condition and trying to get it to factory specs and condition.
  8. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

For your tranny if you don't notice any discolor or burnt smell don't touch it. My opinion is if it isn't broke don't fix it. My dad's F-150 has about 230,000 miles with no work or fluid change ever on the tranny. He also pulled our 28' boat for 12 years. Most quality tranny shops will say the same. The only place that will tell you different is the dealer and well we all know what they are after. $$$
  9. Conlan Rose

Only brought my truck to the dealer once and that was because I was stranded and it was the only shop that I could trust where I was. Last month I had my tranny completely flushed because it was shifting hard and the truck has a lot of miles and I don't know how the original owner drove it.
  10. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'll calling bs on this. Read the owners manual. You would not treat your engine in this manner, why abuse the transmission. ALL fluids need to be changed periodically.

And RayVoy :rofl: