1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adjust idle on 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bobbyg35, Apr 22, 2010.

1. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

How do I adjust the idle speed of my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

There is no way to adjust the idle.. Why are you trying to adjust it anyway?? The computer controls a servo called the Idle air control valve.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

On the idle air control valve on older TBI motors like mine, do you just turn the screw inside the valve with the spring around it to adjust your idle? Im pretty sure you can but im not positive.
  4. murdog94

That is so you can adjust the IAC to the proper tolerance for the ECM to control it properly, 99% of the time the IAC that you buy from the parts store is already set to factory specs. On our TBI motors it has a bit of adjustment. ON the Vortecs it is a basically sealed unit however it can be cleaned.
    If you do adjust your IAC the only thing that you will do is put the motor into closed loop, and it will run poorly with the CEL on.
  5. Silverado Junkie

OK, thanks for the input.
  6. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

if you really need to adjust it, a performance tuner such as the diablosport predator can change it. i would recommend the predator anyway if you want a bit mire performance. it does make quite a diffrence.
  7. Silverado Junkie

Do they make one for my truck?
  8. murdog94

What are you looking to change Silverado Junkie????
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Rip out the Computer crap and put in a Great reliable 350.. It will get better HP and MPG's if done right...One day GM will learn...
  10. murdog94

See i have owned my share of Carbed 350s and found that the TBI system if taken care of will last just as long if not longer than a carbed 350.. I had one that made it just over 300K miles before it decided it didnt like the rings... As for milage there in lies the taken care of they will achieve good milage. Look at the new trucks 20plus MPG yet they wiegh more and have more asseccories than ever.. Plus more power.. Yet you have motors that are generating 400plus HP..

Enkeiavalanche i hope you understand this is not an attack on what you have said it is more a spirited discussion.. I prefer that if it came with EFI that it stay that way and people actually achieve there power using it since it is just as reliable.. I dont prefer carbs to EFI in any way.. I like them both but i think it is amazing that done right you can have just as much power as every before with the reliablity of hitting the key in 30below weather and it start... Plus you put the hammer down and go like hell.