1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advent OGM1 Factory Style Nav Installed

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 2010TexasEdition, Oct 20, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 2010TexasEdition

2010TexasEdition New Member

i wrote this review a few months ago when i first installed this nav and just realized i never put it on this forum for others to see.

this was a fairly easy install. i ordered it from adcmobile.com for $1000 plus shipping. it was litterally plug-n-play! the unit comes with adapters for everything, and now i know i can easily add a reverse camera without a problem, just plug in a yellow video cable, and plug the reverse, parking brake, power, and ignition wires on the adapter to the proper location. the factory XM Receiver is still used which was a big plus for me, didn't even have to swap out the radio ID! i mounted the GPS antenna under the front dash panel right under the windshield. just had to take both a-pillars off, and that panel pops off. the GPS antenna is magnetic so i mounted it on the firewall just below that dash panel. it shows full bars on the nav screen so there shouldn't be any problem with it.

i didn't bother writing a how-to, there are plenty of them on the internet. the one i used had some pictures of how to take the front dash panel off, but i for the life of me cannot find it! so if any of you know what i'm talking about, please post the link in this thread!

i absolutely LOVE this unit! much better than the stock radio, and IMHO much better than the factory nav unit. the map is updated via SD card, underneath the little MAP cover; and the best part is the map updates are FREE! no $200 disk needed. another plus is the audio EQ adjustments, you can really fine tune the sound, and the factory speakers sound 100x better now! i almost spent $300 on some 4-way speakers, but now i don't think i need them anymore! the system also comes with built in Parrot bluetooth, i wired the external mic up my a-pillar as seen in my pics below. people, i have talked to on it say they can hear me perfectly with it. lastly, it comes with a USB/aux input port which i used 2-sided 3M tape to mount on the lower center dash panel. i could have bought the optional iPod adapter, but the unit will play the songs via bluetooth, and i'll bet it will work on the usb port also. but i never use my iPhone as an iPod so i didn't bother getting the iPod cable for the unit.

the only problem i've found with it is the steering wheel controls do not change my preset stations anymore; on XM it just cycles through, and on AM/FM it seeks the next radio station. also, it takes about 5 seconds for it to turn on after i turn the truck on, then it takes an additional 5 seconds for the actual intro screen to go away and the radio to start playing. other than that, i have not found one other flaw with it.
    enough chit-chatting, here are some pics!

[​IMG]

since writing this, i've moved the mic to the center of the headliner, where it is less noticable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since taking this pic, they have made a couple firmware updates, and now the phone function has and extra button above the answer button for voice command capabilities!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011