GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Advice for light offroading

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Maverick8298, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Hi, I'm just looking for some opinions about what kind of mods I need to do some light off roading. I'm not really into mudding or serious 4x4 action, I just don't want to get stuck on washed out roads or at the farm. I've got an 03 2wd Sierra, and I'm thinking BFG TA K/O's would be a good start, but I have also been told that some 3 inch lift spindles would let me run a bigger tire, which makes sense, but would this be enough for what I need? Again, definitely not boggin in the woods, just need a more aggressive look and peace of mind when taking a trail to the farm. Thanks.
  2. steved

steved Former Member

Lift and larger aggressive tires are a good start...locking rear differential will work wonders in a 2wd. By locking rear differential, I'm talking a Lock-Right, Detroit locker, etc...not the factory G80.

A friend of mine would take his 2wd s10 out with us on the trails with nothing more than some aggressive tires and a heavy right foot, he didn't do too bad.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I would say the 3" lift and tires would be good. You don't want to go to big because than you will move the power band in the truck which may hurt more than help your off road performance. But the locker is spot on.
  4. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Haven't even thought about a locker, works wonder huh? Guess that'll do! And also, this may be a question for the seller of the spindles I'm looking to get, but most lift spindles I see say that I need at least a 17 inch wheel for them to work right, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Any explanation for that?
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

A bit more info on your truck will make answering some of your questions a little easier.
  6. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Sorry, just a regular stock 2003 2wd GMC Sierra. Only thing I've added is a toolbox and Bedliner. Currently running 255/65/16 Firestone Destination LE's. Stock as they come.
  7. steved

steved Former Member

A locker will make a lot of difference...both wheels pulling, no matter how much (or how little) traction you have at either wheel...

I had locking front and rear differentials in a 1500 Dodge Ram, I could go places in 2wd that would hang me in 4wd with open diffs.
  8. rg79

rg79 New Member

The advice on the locker is spot on....I would never go back to an open diff! I'm not sure why some don't like the G-80 though. I've never had a problem with mine. My 05 ccsb Z71 has been treated like a 2ton and driven like a camaro and always got me through. All terrain tires and some ground clearance never hurts though. The best advice that I have is know your limitations, and if your moving DON'T STOP.....
  9. steved

steved Former Member

I don't fault the G80, it is probably the best on-road and/or light off-road LSDs available. But for true off-road performance, a mechanical locker is where its at...
  10. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I've gotta figure out which locker to buy and get some prices, but I really appreciate the help. This has actually been my first thread on any forum ever, and it's paid off!

One more thing though, if I went to a pick and pull and found a nbs z71, could I pull the differential out of that and use it? Or would a new aftermarket Eaton or Detroit locker be the best bet? I'm still pretty green when it comes to stuff like this.
  11. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I would look into a selectable locker like an ARB. That way you keep your on road characteristics the same but greatly improve your off road ability.
  12. rg79

rg79 New Member

If you are taking a trip to the "boneyard" I would just get the whole axle, remembering to match gear ratio, or know what the new axle is. If you're going to just change gears and carrier, your money is better spent for what aftermarket parts you want (gears, locker, etc).
  13. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the parts on, tires will be first, but this weekend I'm going to look at z71 axles and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask. Again, thanks everyone.
  14. steved

steved Former Member

As previously noted, you won't know the condition of used axles...

There is actually a 10-bolt no-spin for sale on my local Craigslist...allentown, PA.
  15. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

This is just my simple opinion.
    rear locker G80 would work but if you can afford the extra id go for a selectable im always partial to the ARB because it has an air compressor and with a tank added it becomes real useful to run tools or air tires back up.
    But electric lockers are great to just not as many advantages.
    A 3" spindle lift and rearsprings or shackles to level the truck would give clearance for a suitable size tire.
    And for those days when traction just cant be found a portable winch to make your own traction.
    Added along with items like wood blocks jacks shovels and other assorted gear you should be able to attack most farm roads and a few game trails.