Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Advice for light offroading

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Maverick8298, Mar 27, 2013.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would look into a selectable locker like an ARB. That way you keep your on road characteristics the same but greatly improve your off road ability.

2. rg79

rg79 New Member

If you are taking a trip to the "boneyard" I would just get the whole axle, remembering to match gear ratio, or know what the new axle is. If you're going to just change gears and carrier, your money is better spent for what aftermarket parts you want (gears, locker, etc).

3. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the parts on, tires will be first, but this weekend I'm going to look at z71 axles and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask. Again, thanks everyone.

4. steved

steved Former Member

As previously noted, you won't know the condition of used axles...

There is actually a 10-bolt no-spin for sale on my local Craigslist...allentown, PA.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This is just my simple opinion.
    rear locker G80 would work but if you can afford the extra id go for a selectable im always partial to the ARB because it has an air compressor and with a tank added it becomes real useful to run tools or air tires back up.
    But electric lockers are great to just not as many advantages.
    A 3" spindle lift and rearsprings or shackles to level the truck would give clearance for a suitable size tire.
    And for those days when traction just cant be found a portable winch to make your own traction.
    Added along with items like wood blocks jacks shovels and other assorted gear you should be able to attack most farm roads and a few game trails.