1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice for my 1994 Suburban

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Malsteem, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Malsteem

Malsteem New Member

Hey all,
    I have a new to me 1994 Suburban k2500. It has a 5.7lt V8, automatic transmission and it is a 4x4. I am currently getting 14 mpg and would loeve for this to increase. I live in rural Montana the winters see -37 and the summers see the 90's so I am unsure if a cold air intake would help and they cost around $300.00 and I am not sure how much of an increase they make. Does anybody have any "proof" from your experince?

I also need to put on a new muffler. What brands/type do you use?

I am using 10-30 Napa oil with a Napa oil filter. I am not oppessed to changing brands. I just like the price of Napa products.

Are there better spark plugs and wires then just the stock ones in there or are they all abotu the same?

The tires are the rigth size and the air pressure is fine.

I have also been told a super chip will help out, but again $300.00 is a lot of money.

Thank you for any advice.
    -M
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the 5.7L is a TBI motor, then just flip the lid on the filter housing upside down. Also, if it's a TBI, then take a look at a TB spacer, I have the one I got listed in my signature, and I saw about 3-5mpg increase (depending on my driving) on the highway plus a nice little bump in power.

For spark plugs, I like to use NGK or Denso. Stay away from Bosch, not that they're necessarily bad, but I never saw any increases that justify the extra cost.

For mufflers, mine is listed in my sig (sorry, I can't remember brand names off the top of my head). I remember being told by all the muffler shops in my town that this brand of muffler was designed to help "pull" the exhaust through and increase power and mileage. Don't know if it actually helped or not since I had the exhaust done the first week I had the truck.
  3. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

A fellow Montanan! :)

#1 - Switch to 5W30 this winter. 10W is to thick when it gets below zero.
    #2 - Change out your distributor and rotor cap every year. This often goes overlooked and it makes a big difference.
    #3 - Use Delco plugs gapped at .040 instead of factory .060 - Everyone on here including me swears by the .040 gap
    #4 - If the plug wires have never been changed, get some decent 8MM plug wires
    #5 - If you have never replaced the O2 sensors, replace them both up and down stream
    #6 - On the muffler, Flowmaster or Magnaflow seem to be the popular choices, but the exhaust is a stock 2 inches so unless you change out the Catalytic converters the muffler is a small increase versus the other things mentioned.

I regularly get 18-20 on the highway using cruise control and ignoring the urge to go 75. We drive at 65 here even though everyone else is flying around us.

--Joe
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would agree with everything but the changing the distributer and rotor every year seems a little overkill.
  5. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

To each his own.

Back in the day when distributor caps and rotors were the norm, it was recommended to change them about every 15,000 miles or couple of years. As the rotor spins around and around the cap, the gap begins to widen with age just as with spark plugs. I drive about 17,000 a year on average. Therefore I change it once a year. Most people never know it needs to be changed because these 5.7's were one of the last motors to have them.
  6. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

caps and rotors are very basic things the only fault to keep an eye on would be carbon tracking cracks in the plastic and worn contacts so if you see none of these and you buy the good brass caps and rotors you can run them for a few years without any noticable loss in performance
  7. Malsteem

Malsteem New Member

What is a TBI? and what is a TB Spacer?
  8. Malsteem

Malsteem New Member

Hey Everyone thanks for the advice. If have any more keep it coming!
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Dr. Evil's list Go with AC Deco for all your ignition components. For wires, Napa Premium are fine, and usually a little cheaper. Also check your TB to intake gasket. They are notorious for going bad. The SeaFoam treatment is also a good idea. Don't forget your air and fuel filters too. The TBI should have only one O2 sensor.

Napa filters are highly recommended, just get the Napa Gold.

At the end of the day, this is a thirsty truck. Do you have overdrive? I don't know when the switch was made from TH400 to 4L80e in the 2500s. It's a 3/4 ton truck, with probably 4.10 gears, 3.73 if your lucky. Keeping your speed down will help more than anything.
  10. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

TBI = Throttle Body Intake
    TB = Throttle Body