1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice on buying a K5

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Adam H, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Adam H

Adam H New Member

So I've been looking at K5s online to buy, and most are around the 3k-5k range. I'm looking to grab one a bit cheaper so I can put money into making it more into MY car.
    Anyways, I finally found a K5 for cheap and am wondering if someone might look at the ad and give me a pointer or two for when I go and check it out.

Here's the link to the ad:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4069401717.html
    01313_2U1Hz58qiC7_600x450.jpg
    Ad text: "1989 CHEVY K-5 BLAZER 4X4 POWER WINDOWS HAS TOW HITCH AND REMOVABLE TOP REG EXPIRED 3/13
    5.7 MOTOR AUTOMATIC FUEL INJECTED WITH A 3" LIFT
    RUNS GREAT NEEDS LITTLE WORK TO BE PERFECT. ASKING$1850 OBO
    TRUCK IS BEING SOLD WITH LIEN SALE PAPER WORK.
    AND IS LOCATED AT LOCAL TOW YARD. JUST GOT THE BLAZER WAX AND CLEANED UP LOOKS GREAT. "
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would check all the usuals. Check for leaks anywhere. Check the trans fluid, does it look clean? Smell burned? Check the oil. How does it look? Smell? Take a look at the spark plug wires. How new do they look? Usually newer plug wires indicate that someone took some kind of care of the truck. Many people do not replace plug wires until they have an issue. Look at the coolant. Is it nice bright green or dirty looking? From the pic it looks like the alignment is off horribly. But, that could just be the angle. Drive it. Any drive train noises? Let it get nice and warm, does it over heat?

These are things that I would look at.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

x2....On what Pikey has mentioned above, I would just add, ask the Owner if they have any Maintenance Records, for the Vehicle, as this would give you some idea as to how its been taken care of by the owner.
  4. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Thank you both for the advice, I'll keep my eyes open for any red flags!

*Edit*
    On follow up with the tow yard: The truck was impounded after the owner was arrested for driving it unregistered and with out a drivers licence. Hence the lien paperwork. Also a possible salvage title, still waiting on VIN.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The lien sale paperwork and no registration would have me more woried than anything.
    Are their outstanding fines against the vehicle?
    It says lien sale ppw, are all the liens paid off?
    Why didnt it have valid reg.?
    Does it pass Ca smog?
    Whats the reason for the salvage title?
  6. Adam H

Adam H New Member

Yes, I decided to pass on this blazer due to the oddness and general uncertainty. Sadly it's going to be junked after the weekend. So my search continues! But thank you all for the advice, and I will be coming back for more, once I do find my K5.