Advise

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by prodchevy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. prodchevy

prodchevy New Member

I've had my chevy silverado for a while now and the only thing i've had time to do been in the military and all is a 7" procomp lift and flowmaster... i was looking foward to putting on some headers maybe a chip and cold air intake but ive heard bad things about this upgrades and im just not sure what works for chevy silverado and what doesnt can anyone with me some advise?

i would really like to get more power and mid range power. the flowmaster helped out alot of the line but at top speeds its hard to pass people and i usually have to floor it. im running 35X12.50X17 BF Goodrinch KM2. KM1 last me a little over 3 years and i hope KM2 will be just as good.

2. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How about some more info on your truck? Anyways if you looking for a little more power to turn those 35's, Programmer, headers and intake will help a ton. What gears do you have. If you don't already have them, 4.56 gears would be your best bang for the buck mod. It will help you pass people on the freeway and get you off the line quicker. If you got the year and engine size i'm sure we could recommend some specific parts that might help you out a little bit more.

3. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree with Kris, a CAI and a programmer will help out ALOT, also if your running your stock gears with 35's you will want to change them.

4. prodchevy

prodchevy New Member

o yea thanks for getting back so soon. yea i got a 5.3 crew cab 2X4 which people give me crap about all the time because its lifted with off road tires but really i did it because i like working on it and i think it look great. as for the diff gears its still the stock gears. i was thinking of upgrading that first but i just dont know what would be best to upgrade first since i can only do one thing at a time. diff gears you recomend 4.56? or higher?

5. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

Here is a link to see what gear ratio you should be running for the size of tire you are running.
    http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
    You will probably want to run 4.45 to 5.13 gears.:great:

6. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep, go with the gears and a custom tune. The tune will give you plenty of power and you can have it programmed with the new gears at the same time. Shouldn't have any problem with passing once you get that done!

7. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

gears first. 4.56, and uh pictures by chance??? :money:

8. prodchevy

prodchevy New Member

AWSOME! THANKS! yea ill defenately be posting pictures up soon! i think i will go with the 5.13 any idea what the best brand or bang for my buck would be?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  9. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

i also agree gears first, then id go cai ,lt headers with high flow cats and tune.

10. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If your looking for a place to buy gears you can check out accuautoparts.com. they've got tons of brands in all price ranges. Being a 2wd you only need one set so maybe spending an extra 100 on some Richmond or Yukon gears might be best. Some of the cheaper brands like accu's brand will work fine they might just be a little bit louder and if you do any heavy offroading their just not as strong. @ 5.13 your gas mileage may suffer a little but you'll probly be able to turn those 35's at red light pretty good.