Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

after larger tires? for a noob.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jmill77, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Jmill77

Jmill77 New Member

Im sure this has been asked somewhere but i could not find it and Im a noob.

If i get larger tires what has to be done to correct the speedo and odometer in an 08 silverado? Can the computer be reprogrammed to correct or do you have to get a third party kit to correct it? IF you need a kit which one is the best?

i just got my new 08 silverado 1500 with 20 in rims...but they come with goodyear eagle ls-2 tires...which are just wrong for this truck. Im looking to keep the factory rim and just put a little more agressive,taller tire on.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

depending how large or a tire you run, it won't be off that much. On my cherokee the stock tire is like a 225 and I'm running a 33 now and its off by 20% but that is a substantial size difference.
  3. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

hi, if your truck came with 20's on it stock then the speedo is already set for it. i have the 07 lt1 with 20's but if you want you can go buy a programer and be able to change a few other things on the truck.
  4. 07 redrado

07 redrado Rockstar

you can take it to the dealer and have the computer reflashed, but if u ever change size again the u have to go back and have it done again. im going to buy a programmer to change my size cuz i already know im going bigger next set of tires.
  5. Jmill77

Jmill77 New Member

Thanks for the info... although i doubt I'll be making a lot of changes how much does a good programmer cost? and what brand do people like?
  6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

go to somewhere like Performancecenter website and get you a programmer and you can tell the computer what size tires you got or something. I fit 33's on my truck and there's no lift or level of any sort.
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Don't know about brand, but they're typicaly around $200-$400
  8. Jmill77

Jmill77 New Member

so sort of a side note...when some one uses snow tires on their vechicle....they deal with the speedo being off?

I know to some this might not seem like a big deal but i like everything to work perfectly.

i think it might drive me crazy. And after getting into this i am thinking i might have two wheel setups that i might want to change out depending on what i am going to be doing.
  9. smpoulin1

smpoulin1 Member

You can get a programmer for just tire/transmission settings or if you get one for power changes you can adjust your tire size also. I have been using a Superchips model for a few years. The same unit has worked on all of my trucks from year models 1997 through my 2008. You can update the unit over the internet as needed.
  10. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if the snow tires are the same size as the stock tires they wont be off at all. if you go to a 33, your speedo may be off by 5 mph when going 65. so if your going 65 on the speedo, your really going aroudn 70.