Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket BOSE System for'99 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by bluebrick, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bluebrick

bluebrick New Member

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with installing an aftermarket BOSE system or some comparable quality system in a 1999 Silverado or similar model. Any recommendations for a good, but inexpensive upgrade? thanks.
  2. Cujonaut

Cujonaut New Member

It depends on what you want out of it. For me it's about quality sound, a good low, mid, and high source. I like a bit of bass, but not so much that it rattles the whole vehicle. My system sounds great and it only cost me about $300.

The head unit is a single din 500 watt Sony - It plays CD's MP3's and has an auxillary plug for IPODs and MP3 players. Just enough power to drive your mid and high speakers. Make sure it has the RCA plugs for a subwoofer (most of them do)

The subwoofer is a passive 6.5 inch sub in a bazooka tube. I recommend the bazooka if you have a regular cab pickup because it tucks in nice and neat behind the seats and it sounds awesome. If you have the extended cab or 4 door you probably want to go with a 10" sub in a box made for a truck.

I got the passive (unamplified) subwoofer because I already owned a 500 watt amp. You can buy an amplified bazooka tube and it will save you the trouble of having to mount an amp and a sub.

I bought a sub/amp wiring kit and did the installation myself. When I got everything hooked up I adjusted the deck to what I like. I also like to drop the bass from the head unit. This way you won't get any distortion from your factory speakers because they're not pushing any bass, that's what the sub is for.

The head unit should have separate controls for the bass and the subwoofer so turning down the bass won't have a huge effect on the subwoofer.

I hope this helps, if anything you can say to yourelf - "Well that's one way to do to it"
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Just remember your Sony head unit is NOT 500 watts.. It's more like 17 W RMs x4.. As for getting a Bose system for your truck when it did not come with one I have never heard of anyone doing this. Most get a Aftermarket set up.. A good system can cost anywahere from $500-What ever you want to spend. What do you listen to? How loud? Do you want Big Bass or clean sound?
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on Enkie's comments.
  5. Cujonaut

Cujonaut New Member

Thanks for the correction, I was referring to peak power output which is 52 watts x 4 channels (208) . So I was only off by a couple hundred watts (lol)