1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket brake options

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by burhead, Sep 4, 2013.

1. burhead

burhead New Member

Ok I just warped my 3rd set of rotors in 60k miles. I have been using the stuff from oreillys and advance auto and I am finding them to be crap. Autozone lists a severe duty rotor but for some reason they can't get them. So this lead me to do a google search. I found pricing ranging from 75-150 per wheel for pads and rotors. Can anyone recommend a setup that they have used. The truck is a 2004 GMC sierra 1500 half ton. I have been getting 15 to 20k on the rotors but this last set only lasted about 10k but it was my fault. I got them way to hot hauling waaayyy too much stuff. Also hoping to retain stock calipers.
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

powerslot cryo slotted rotors, me and some others have them, do a search on the forum, so far no warping for me, great stuff but on the dollar side
  3. zippstripp

zippstripp New Member

Raybestos makes a cross drilled and slotted rotor.
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I've been driving 1500 GM trucks for years and have never warped a set of rotors.

If you are getting the brakes too hot that often, consider upgrading to a 2500 as their brakes are far better suited for heat dissipation. Does your truck have a trailer brake controller? Towing a heavy trailer with no controller will eat your brakes up fast.

To be perfectly honest, big brake kits for the Silverado and Sierra are WAAAYYY too expensive IMO. Wilwood makes a big brake kit for $4500 just for the fronts, ridiculous.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yeah, like stchman said, you shouldn't be warping rotors that often. Are you doing any towing?

As for those Duralast Severe Duty pads and rotor from Autozone, I just replaced my front brakes with those this past weekend. I order the pads and rotors from their website and they were delivered in less than a week. Have you tried that? Before the brake job I did this past weekend, my 2001 Silverado still had the original rotors on it - almost 13 years and 160,000 miles. If you warping rotors every 20,000 miles or so, something is very wrong.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree with the above two posts. I have been driving 1500 trucks for almost 20 years now and I can't say that I ever had any major rotor warpage. That is including a truck with 38.5" tires on it. I occasionally do some heavy towing also. I never had an issue when towing my boat and putting it in the water. which apparently guys ruin rotors all the time by getting them nice and hot on the trip to the lake and then back that hot rotor into the water while backing the boat in. I also drive my truck like it is a truck. My wife and mother in law can't keep rotors on their vehicles. My mother in law drives an 08 mariner, she still drives it like she is in her mustang GT, heavy last second braking. My wive drivers her van like it is her cavalier. I think driving style may have a lot to do with it.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

agree with the above posts.

But try a set of cross drilled slotted if you want an upgrade. Also in my wifes car as she had warping issues I noticed a much better with the cross drilled. But even more so by going to semi-metallic from the stock ceramic.
  8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

My 96 has its factory rotors at 202,000+ miles and were just recently reground smooth to get another 50,000+ miles out of them. As stated above Raybestos and Power slot have great rotors and the Delco ones are super high quality and made to last 200,000+ miles.