Aftermarket foglight mounting questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dadngt, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm feeling a little more confident in wiring some fog lights for my truck. (Didn't come with any factory) I don't really want to use the factory set since I have a chance to do something different, I'm thinking of mounting them to the frame ends where the recovery hooks are. I found a set of lights that look good & fit the opening rather well. The problem is the mounting hardware. The brackets for the lights are exactly the same width as the boxed frame of the truck I can bend the brackets in some what to fit inside the frame but with the frame cut at an angle on the ends the brackets don't tuck in enough for me to drill some holes into the side of the frame. Before I return this fog light set I think I'll check out the hardware store & see if there are some brackets that may be able to work. Any suggestions besides taking the whole bumper off & welding new brackets to the frame lol. (best I can do is JB Weld) Think I'll check other light kits later to see if the mounting hardware is different.

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good luck on your project, I don't know about your year truck but when I had to make mounts for my LED DRLs that I put in the same spot, "towhook holes" It took a little imagination and ingenuity as well as a trip to the hardware store but I was very happy with the outcome. I am sure you will be too. :glasses:

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont JB weld, that junk is great for emergency uses but for a permanent situation it's garbage.
    I'll look at my front end to see if I can think of something to help you.
    Is it possible to make an angle bracket from below the frame rail to mount to your present bracket?

4. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the info. I did get the lights mounted with a couple metal plates to extend out a little more bolted to the frame & the lights. Looked good, but there is not enough wireing in the kit since I would like to have the switch on the driverside & the battery is on the passanger side with a foot long wire. I'll return this kit & try out something else. may just end up with a factory kit if I find one on ebay for a steal.