1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket head unit swap

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by 5speedsilverado, Jun 15, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts

wow i hope that doesn't happen, i've never had it happen eather
  2. 5speedsilverado

ok, now im a little confused, it hasn't been updated since it left illinois yesterday at 9 a.m., so idk what is going on, hopefully they didn't lose it
  3. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 New Member

ya told ya you cant trust that tracking thing...
  4. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

Just make sure whenyou hook that radio up the factory plug that goes into the radio doesn't have the switch power you need to turn the radio on. It does have the constant power just not the switch power. The plug and play harness you buy does not come with that lead. Your going to have to get power from the colum in order to have the radio work they way it's suppose to. Just make sure when your checking your wires that you use a volt meter and not a teast light because you can blow the air bag with a test light
  5. 5speedsilverado

really? crutchfield said that i needed this thing so it will turn on and have the door chimes

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC01/GM-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

yeah i hope it is still delivered on time though
  6. 02silverad0

02silverad0 New Member

the dash is held with push in clips so it prety easy and an easy place to start is under the lil cubby hole next to the climate controlls there should be enough room for your fingers to fit underneath
  7. 5speedsilverado

thanks, that will help for sure.

just a little update on my tracking problem, it says it left HODGKINS,
    IL on 6/17/2009 at 9 am, and then their is no more updates, im staring to worrie about my new stereo
  8. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 New Member

Indiana ? :no: you might get on monday if lucky?
  9. 5speedsilverado

idk, acording to the ups thing it is still on he road for 2 days now, and i checked on google maps and it is 1day and some hours away from my house. also it left illinois
  10. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

The door chimes do come through the radio and it's kinda silly but you can turn the chimes up or down through a function on the factory radio, but I do know when one of the guys here tried to put in an aftermarket in our 2500hd the radio would not come on with the harness he got from the car stereo shop. Maybe Crutchfield found out where to get the switch power. I hope it works, let us know if they have found that hidden harness that you can get switch power from.