Aftermarket headliner

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by RAMwoodworks, May 22, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. RAMwoodworks

RAMwoodworks New Member

I have a 2006 Sierra, standard cab that needs a new headliner. A dealer website shows the GM part as $500!

Anyone know of an aftermarket headliner available?

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Get free backup service using Drop Box
    Access your files from your smartphone or tablet
    Bonus space provided using this link:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2012
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I see your in NJ. Where? Anyway go to a good Sunroof shop and they can redo it for you. I know of a good one up here in Hackensack..
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just re-cover it yourself! It isn't hard to do and it will probably only set you back 30-40 bux. take the headliner board out of the truck, peel the old fabric off, clean off all of the foam padding, spray some adhesive (like 3M Super 77) on to the headliner board, then a light spray on the fabric. Let the glue become tacky and work it onto the board. If you don't spray BOTH pieces, it will likely fall down again. There are lotsa videos on you tube about it.

This is also the opportunity for you to customize your headliner.

Alternatively, you could probably get one at a junk yard cheap.
  4. The Heater

The Heater New Member 100 Posts

I will second Enkeiavalanche and advise to find an upholstery shop that does boat and auto upholstery. Call first, but around here that is who does them. I certainly recommend having a professional do the work. A mistake ridden headliner is no fun to see every time you get in and out of your rig. Should cost you under $200, maybe over that depending on material used. Mine cost $175, and I think some extra because I used an ultrasuede material that costs more. But the look is outstanding.
  5. RAMwoodworks

RAMwoodworks New Member

I'm in the Mercer/Somerset area so going waaay up north to Hackensack is out. :)

I'm probably going to go with the 3M/fabric fix. Maybe I'll pull it out this weekend.
  6. kw70chevy

kw70chevy New Member

i redone the one in my 78 i found the head liner material on ebay for 45.00. cheapest place i found.
  7. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You should be able to go to your local fabric store and find something at a good price. Just remember to take your time and it will turn out great. Also, search youtube for some videos of people doing it. Let us know how it turns out!
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

9. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

JoAnns Fabric sells the foam backed headliner cloth. Temp solutions will not last as the adhesive didn't fail, the foam deteriorates and lets the fabric fall away.

The hard part is taking everything loose and getting the backer board our in one section. I'm in Mercer and if you can't find an upholstery shop, check out some local speed shops, like Stan Meyers on Rt 33 in Hamilton; that's where I bought my ExTang tarp.

They cover the spectrum from serious speed to the imports.
    Last edited: May 28, 2012