1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket Headunit Install.....Need your expertise please

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Whiterado, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Whiterado

Whiterado New Member

Hey Guys,
    I have a 2008 Silverado without Bose system. So ive finally made the switch from my old OEM headunit to an Alpine 9886. Now I am in the middle of installing this thing and i am running into problems.

I dont care about my chimes or Onstar so I went to ebay and bought a wiring harness. It wasnt the special one to attain the chimes and onstar. I have everything all connected up , removed the OEM deck and plugged in the alpine......No power....Plug the OEM back in, powers up. Everything is connected properly. What am i doing wrong? Will this work? I was reading online that there is a bypass that i can do. Has anyone heard of this?

If you have any advice, please let me know. I just got my truck back yesterday, was t-boned 3 weeks ago and she deserves a new stereo. I have kids and a family so cheapest route(the route i went) is the best for me. I dont mind the extra work involved. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!
  2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member 100 Posts

make sure you have the correct harness for your vehicle. If you do then get a multimeter, turn the accessory on and find the power lead suppling 12v switched power and you should be good.