1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket Remote Start with Factory Remote Start

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Perpendicular, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Perpendicular

Perpendicular New Member

Howdy all, newbe to the board but not to some things :) Seems like a lot of great information here on the site. Nice~!

I have been looking for this question and answer but have been unable to find anyone else's posts about it so figured I would start a thread on it.

I want to install an aftermarket Remote Start system but my truck has the factory Remote Start. I don't want to re-invent the wheel on this but if no one else has done it I will venture on!

Has anyone done this, and if so what integration were you able to do or did you have to do a complete secondary setup? Were you able to integrate into the current keyless starting security or did you use an aftermarket setup?

I like my factory setup but the distance sucks compared to aftermarket as well as the features I want / need.

Any help greatly appreciated!
  2. Perpendicular

Perpendicular New Member

I am surprised no one has done this?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Not sure if replacing the factory system is a popular modification. What about the factory don't you like?
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is possible, nor are you replacing one with the other, more like piggy back to the factory. When an aftermarket remote start is installed you have to buy the control box ($50) for your particular vehicle. This control box is what talks to the computer. I dont know about viper or any other brand, but Compustar still allows the use of the factory key fob, this is more of an emergency in case the battery goes dead in the Compustar fob. It also is noce for if you let an older family member use the vehicle that may not understand the aftermarket fob. You just put into valet and then give them the factory remote and no problem.
  5. Perpendicular

Perpendicular New Member

I like the security of an aftermarket unit (Viper / Clifford) along with the 1000+ foot range and the two way fob.

The factory unit I have to press the lock button, then the remote start for 4 seconds and with the limited range of the remote, I am usually almost right up on the truck by the time it completes. With aftermarket, I can be sitting at my desk and press the button.

I have the integration unit for the bus system.

Thanks to all for your ideas and assistance!
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hmm, I've been in a lot of these with remote start and I can start it up from 100 feet or more. Not sure if I tried that a 1000 feet, that's three football fields in length.

What year/make/model was this on? There were factory-upgrade 2-way remote start units on some models.
  7. gatormike69

gatormike69 Rockstar 100 Posts

+1 2009 easily start from 100ft
  8. 09lowrider

09lowrider New Member

I am a manager of a car audio and performance shop and we install after market remote starts all day long. Yes you can install a remote start over the factory one since the factory one to say the least sucks ass since it has no range. The only downfall that aftermarket ones have is that the factory one will turn on AC or heater depending on what is needed. With an aftermarket one you will have to set either heat or AC before hand to when the vehicle is turned on it will come on.

I have been talking about doing a group buy for Viper Remote Starts and bypasses but the moderators of the forums have not gotten back with me. If you want I can get you all the info you need for your vehicle with bypass and tech notes.
  9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That may be true with viper or clifford, but with Compustar you can set all kinds of stuff, rear defrost, heat A/C, manual transmission, turbo, ans so many other endless things plus with Compustar you get factory tested for over 3000ft of range and some can even reach the miles, i have started my truck from 3 miles before. While this may not need to be done all the time but what that really means is that when in a mall or office building interference from concrete and wiring will not pose as big of challenge to get the signal through
  10. 09lowrider

09lowrider New Member

there is not a single aftermarket remote start the will if you have your heat on and its 100 in your car it will turn on your ac. Viper has been rated #1 for the past couple years in remote starts and own over 75% of the market sharing.

viper also has a life time warranty on there products.

Viper will also turn on any switching items in your car, my shop personally has used viper units for heated seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel, power windows going up and down, automatic driver seat response, turning on neon lights, control for winch, bale spike control, but as far at heater controls there is not a remote start out yet that will turn on heater if the heater is off or ac.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009