Aftermarket Rims?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by HawaiiKid, Apr 28, 2010.

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    It's looking like instead of fixing up my 05 GSX-R 600 (went down a few weeks ago) I might just sell it to a friend so he can deal with rebuilding it...with that said, I might just be in the market for some new rims and tires :) My question to all of you is...where do you buy them, and what kind of suggestions do you have for me? I don't want 33s, but would like a little larger than stock tires to make the truck a little taller. I know about tirerack.com, but they seem to be more skewed towards cars. Also any advice about backspacing and offset would be nice, since I know next to nothing about either...thanks for your help in advance!

Oh and its a 2003 Silverado 1500 Extended cab Z-71...check out my albums for pics of it (and the now deceased Gixxer :( )

2. HawaiiKid

Annnnnnnd I'm a idiot for posting this in the wrong area...can a admin switch it to wheels and tires? Thanks!

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It really depends on the look you are going for, are you keeping 16" rims or do you want larger? whatever size you are going with I'd keep the offset around 20mm if you are keeping the ride height stock.

4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

i like http://www.tirepackage.com/ they have decent prices and are more for offroad vehicles and you can build a package if you wants if you find rims you like there too

5. HawaiiKid

I am looking to go up to something bigger than 16s probably, probably 18s...and I will be keepin the ride hight stock.

6. HawaiiKid

And by the way...I am working with about a grand to spend, for both rims and tires.

7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

discounttire.com has some cool rims and the prices are pretty reasonable
    [​IMG]

8. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Its gonna be tough to get new wheels and tires for a grand.. Even just getting bigger tires (assuming you're looking at 285's) mounted and balanced for under a thousand bucks might not be easy.

9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I was thinking the same thing just before I ran across this post. Two years ago I was looking for a set of 33's on 15" wheels, I ended up buying 35's and 15" basic black wheels, I got a great out the door price but it still cost me over $1300. 33's were about $150 cheaper at that time, I'm sure prices have climbed some.

10. HawaiiKid

Yeah...I know it would be kinda tight...I am probably gonna be looking more towards the 1,200 range now. I can get a set of 18" XD Rockstars in black with 275/55/18 tires mounted and balanced for about 1,300...now if only I had the cash right this second. I'm also considering the fact that I am probably going to be cross countrying this truck from NY to California, so I might just stick with stock rolling stock till then and put some of the money from the bike into a programmer/tune and some more exhaust work. We will see...