1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket Steering Wheels - anyone have one??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by thrasher, Nov 10, 2013.

1. thrasher

thrasher New Member

I'm thinking of replacing the tiller in my 2001 Silverado HD. Just wondering if anyone out there has replaced their wheel, and what brand they bought. Did you have to buy a wheel with an airbag?? I really like some of the Grant wheels, but if I'm going to spend upwards of $200.00 on a wheel, I'd rather NOT have one with an airbag. They're U.G.L.Y. And, how much of a pain was it to remove the old one. I have a steering wheel puller, but I can't figure out how the process starts. I don't see any way to remove the airbag/horn pad without using a huge prybar/torch/dynamite!!LOL!! Thanks bunches!!
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

I've been wondering the same thing with my wife's 99 Tahoe. I hope someone will chime in to solve our mystery! Lol scooby doo?! Where are you?!
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have the Grant Wheel They use your factory air bag You might want to look into it As far as I know it is a Federal Law that the Air Bag MUST stay in your truck or car..

wheel.jpg
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I used to have a Colorado Custom "FIRE" billet steering in my S10, It did not reuse the air bag. Well after checking with several people, I found out they could impound the vehicle for violating federal safety laws. I took it off and put the factory one back on, I would advise you to KEEP the air bag. I spent over $500.00 on that aftermarket steering wheel, and I had to have a custom adapter made for it as well.
  5. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

This is true. Unfortunately. I spoke with a couple local officers last night that said they would really enforce it unless I am treating them like crap when they pull me over. However, they did state that in the event of an accident (my fault or the other involved parties) that the insurance may decline Coverage if they so choose and get away with it because of said violation.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen a few guys upgrade from the stock wheel with no steering wheel controls to an OEM wheel with steering wheel controls. It requires a new clock spring, the wheel, and the 4 buttons. Remove and installation is easy. There are 2 holes on the back of the steering wheel. you push a pick into the holes and the airbag unit pops out. The you just remove the nut and pull the wheel. Often you do not even need a wheel puller. I would look into something like @Enkeiavalanche has. I understand that you do not like the look of the air bag. But, you never know when some a$$ hat is going to pull in front of you. Sure seat belts work. I don't think that you appreciate an airbag until you have been in a head on collision at 45+mph. They don't look cool. But, now I don't care if it was double the size, painted bright pink with purple dots, that thing is staying where it is.
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Been there and still don't want the airbag. Already pulled the fuse to disable it.
  8. thrasher

thrasher New Member

Jeez, what next?? They gonna start tellin us what toilet paper to use???
  9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

shut it man! Don't new to be giving them any ideas! John Wayne tp will be standard issue then
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was looking for a pic I had of a Show Hummer I worked on many years ago that we built a solid Plexy steering wheel that lite up many colors. It was shaped like a Fighter Jets wheel.. But anyway the customer was told this truck was to be only used for SHOW now that our Co at the time was NOT going to be held responsible for any tickets..

He just got done spending $140K on a H2..... Long story short The Co bought the Hummer off of the customer....