1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket stereo install

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by thump4863, Jun 26, 2009.

1. thump4863

thump4863 New Member

Doing some research so I can install a stereo into my dads truck.

I don't see paying $129 for a wiring hareness. Thats crazy! He has an 09 Silverado with onstar NO bose. He doesn't care about losing the onstar since he wont be subscribing to it. Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo without the expensive hareness? Any tips or what did you use to do it?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. Mattdtrue

Mattdtrue Rockstar 100 Posts

I installed a Alpine in my 02 I didn't buy that expensive harness either mine was like $22.00 lost my onstar but oh well . Check your local sterio shop they will fix you right up.
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I put a Pioneer into my friend's 07. We used the cheap harness. He didn't have BOSE or ONSTART, but he did lose his door chime.
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My advice, as always - call Crutchfield! They should hook you up right from start to finish.
  5. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

+1, thats what did
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I say dont go cheap, get what i asks for. Too many things run through the stereo now days, do it right.
  7. thump4863

thump4863 New Member

They told me that was the only one they had. Crutchfield will also tell you speakers don't fit your vehicle that do.

He said they can't legally sell me one that takes away the door chimes. So if anyone has worked around this please let me know.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

check walmart 8 or 9 dollars or you can get the one that keep your door chimes for 30.

9. ProFuel

ProFuel New Member

Hello, I modified my 01 silverado, use the Cheap harness like leadpan said just to keep computer happy.
    Install new power block, cabeling. amps etc. If your looking to run any type of power threw your system I would not use the stock cabeling you'll eat up power threw cable resistance and over work the amps.
    use Big cables, 12 - 10 guage " Larger # smaller the cable"
  10. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they haven't told me sizes that dont fit my vehicle. and the adapter they sold keeps door chimes:neutral: