1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Aftermarket Woofer install.....

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Oscarvan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

2009 Silverado 2500HD NOT Bose....

OK, to my suprise the factory sound (non-Bose) is not THAT bad, and in the name of the budget (just dropped $1500 on cap/liner/nerf bars) I'll live with it for now, except for adding some bottom end, so for now I bought this simple powered woofer: (I've always had good luck with JVC)

JVC CS-BB2 AMPLIFIED 6"SUB POWERED SUBWOOFER CAR SYSTEM - eBay (item 360183324712 end time Sep-24-09 21:47:33 PDT)

It will take line input.... where would be the easiest place to put it? Don't need switching through the radio or ignition, I can put a power switch somewhere. Would like to avoid going behind the head if not necessary... Where can I easily pick up the signal? I have the 40/20/40 bench, thinking about putting it in the bottom storage (the center seat.....)
  2. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

you can tap the speaker wires for the line level converter inside the drivers kick panel, if you dont want to take the headunit out, and you can get the remote turn on from the pink wire in your ignition harness.
  3. identityPRS

identityPRS Rockstar 100 Posts

correct, just get the speaker signal from the driver kick, and your ignition harness is right there under the dash. you can't get switched power from the radio anyway, its a data turn on.
  4. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

OK thanks, but then I get only one channel (left side), does that matter?
  5. Hedo

Hedo New Member

Bass is mono so it will not matter what side the signal comes from.
  6. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

Don't think so.

If during the recording mix the bass was sent to the right channel only, there would be nothing coming out of the left side..... GENERALLY base is kept somewhat in the middle, but, and I speak as someone who has recorded and mixed music, that is not always the case.

So, after more reading, I need both sides and they need to be bridged.

I think I will tap into the kick panel on the right side as well and bring the two sides together, I am just wondering what will happen to my front channel separation when I bridge.....
  7. Hedo

Hedo New Member

Yea sorry i am used to running my stuff through an aftermarket head unit that processes the bass signal even if the signal starts out in stereo. My Denon home theater system is the same way. For your application you would need to tap both sides to get proper signal from a stereo source.
  8. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

Right on. But, the original question remains: Will I then lose separation in those channels, ie lose stereo in my two front doors?
  9. Hedo

Hedo New Member

If your just tapping into them to gain a signal there is no way you will loose channel separation and you are guaranteed to get a bass signal if its recorded for the left, the right, or both channels.
  10. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Rockstar

Again, 2009 HD 2500

OK, the install is done. Considering the money I paid, ($90) I am happy with the results. Don't have a picture, but the unit sits on the tunnel in front of the bench, and can be removed if necessary by unplugging.

For those that come after me, a few things I found.

On the right and left side of the dash there are two pull out panels. There's a diagram inside the panels which shows the location of the respective door wiring plugs. In the harness to these plugs is a pair of twisted wires:

Tan/Grey on the left, dark/light green on the right.

These are the speaker feeds for the front doors. It is REALLY easy to snake a wire under the front edge of the carpet to these wires.

I wired directly to the battery, and found a BIG rubber grommet in the firewall, up and left of the brake pedal. Pull the grommet inside, and it comes apart in a disc and a cup. Join the wire that is there in the cup, and poke a new hole for your power wire through the cup. Re-assemble and stick it back in the fire wall. 100 water proof.

If I decide to put a bigger woofah in the back at some point, I can just attach to all the wires under the dash and run aft under the sill.

Hope this helps someone.