Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Air bag light on (not from a wreck)

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Arbitert343GS, May 6, 2013.

1. Arbitert343GS

Arbitert343GS New Member

I finally finished the frame swap on my 1999 Chevy C1500 and now the air bag light is on, How can I get it to go off?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Could just be a bad sensor, bad connection to a sensor (i.e. one that's come loose) or bad wiring to/from a sensor. The first step would be to get the code off the system and Google it ... and based on that take additional steps.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The airbag system is on it's own operating circuit, meaning it only takes one wire not hooked up correctly or shorting out to set that light off.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on getting a code. You will have to find a place that has a tech 2 to read the code. I don't know any parts stores that have the capability of reading SIR codes. I had the same thing happen to me. I thought it was the coil spring in the steering column because it was making noise while turning. That turned out to be a costly mistake on my part $380 for the coil and it turned out to be a front impact sensor. I found one (dorman brand) at O'relly's for $80. Many of them do not carry them, so I had to search within a 50 mile radius to find it.