Air bag light

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dshewy14, Dec 1, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. dshewy14

dshewy14 New Member 100 Posts

Ok so i've searched and searched and cant find nothing on a chevy. My service air bag light just randomly came on one day and has stayed on ever since. Is there any way to reset it or get it to go off???? any help would be great.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The Following is from the 2003" Silverado Owners Manual,

.....If the Air Bag readiness light stays on after you start the vehicle or comes on when you are driving......your Air Bag System may not work properly....you need to Have your Truck Serviced right away.

The system checks the air bag’s electrical system for malfunctions....The light tells you if there is an electrical problem......The system check includes the air bag sensors, the air bag modules.
  3. dshewy14

I agree but my local dealer said it was going to run me 750 just for parts, and I just dont want to pay that and im tired of looking at the light.
  4. dshewy14

Anyone.....
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If your airbag is not working and you do not want to have it fixed properly right now, it may be best to fully disconnect it. I'm not exactly sure what it means (or what could happen or not happen) when the airbag electrical system is malfunctioning, but I am wondering if it may inflate during normal driving conditions for no reason or if you hit a bump, or even worse if it doesn't go off when you really need it to. It sounds like the dealer already tested your system and knows what's wrong with it. Did they mention what problems this would cause if you did not have fixed?
  6. ckshina

ckshina New Member

The "Service Airbag" light recently came on in my 2005 Tahoe. Concerned with safety of the occupants, I finally took it in to the Chevy dealer. They ran a diagnostic scan and told me it was one of the front sensors causing the problem. They wanted $326 to repair it. I thought that was outrageous but would not be able to forgive myself if I ignored the problem, the vehicle was in an accident and one of the occupants was injured because the airbag(s) did not work properly. I had them repair it but then the dealer tacked on another $100 for the diagnostics. I will think twice next time about taking my vehicle to the dealer for repairs.
  7. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com New Member 100 Posts

steeler

beware of the dealer. they will rape you